Converting a right hand 870 to a left hand safety

This is by far the best safety conversion I've EVER done, I can't recommend it highly enough. Not over a month ago I asked a question here about the ability to convert a right hand safety in a Remington 870 to a left hand safety. A few of you responded, but nobody knew of a product that could do it. That didn't surprise me because I though I'd looked everywhere so for my entire hunting life I suffered with a right hand Remington safety button. That was until last week. While buying a large pile of 870 parts from Midway with the intention of changing my 870 Express into my idea of the perfect predator hunting machine I quite literally stumbled onto the safety linked below. The price was right and I figured that I couldn’t possibly go wrong so it was included in the order.

Midway must camp out in the UPS store. I say that because the parts arrived incredibly fast. ALL the parts went on the 870 with not a hint of trouble. It pays to modify one of the most popular shotguns in history.

The button is incredibly easy to install. Simply remove the trigger group, remove the pin holding the safety spring ball, the pin’s simply pushed in. You don’t even need to remove the spring or the ball. When the pin is out simply push out the original safety button and push in the new button, then depress the spring and slide the pin back in. It’s all incredibly easy. Then reinstall the trigger group. It’s a 5 minute job. This button is over sized and easy to use, but not likely to be accidentally disengaged. Out of all the changes I made to the 870, this is the one I will appreciate more than any.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=463939&t=11082005

Edit: One more thing. According to Remington an 870 built after 1992 can not have it's safety simply reversed. I honestly never tried to reverse the origional safety on this gun. Remington says it can't be done so I never tried. Even if it can be done this conversion is worth doing because the over sized button makes it easier to use the safety. I never liked the Remington button safety, this just might change my opinion.

Last edited:
uncle mikes use to make a big head safety for the rem 760's, 742's, 870's, 1100's that worked either way. I have one on my 1978 vintage 760 270 in the LH mode.
RR

I've heard about other conversion safeties being available, but wasn't able to find one, even in Brownells. But that doesn't surprise me Brownells, has an awful search engine. When I stumbled on this one, it was mine and I'm glad it is. This has made a big difference in the 870 for me. ... Even if you have a left handed safety I suggest this one for the ver sized button.

Back