Pay back Antelope hunt

RagnCajn

As a young kid growing up in the rural north west area of Louisiana, my Dad did all he could do to make a hunter out of me. He took my brother and I along when he knew doing so would be detrimental to his success. I left home 29 years ago to start my own life and live up to the way I was reared. Over those 29 years my dad and I still hunt together every year around the old homeplace. We have never taken a road trip together on a hunt. Oh, I have been on road trips and so has he, just never together.

Lets go back to about 15 years or so ago. I was in a pawn shop and saw a left handed bolt action model 700 in 264 WM. I had heard him on a few occassions during the discussions on rifles and ballistics state he thought it would make a fine long range rifle. I couldn't understand why he would want it for NW Louisiana hunting but he told me if he ever had a chance to go out west and hunt antelope, that would be what he wanted. I bought the rifle and gave it to him for a Christmas present that year. He began shooting it for whitetails on Pipelines and even took a couple Mule deer in Colorado with it.

Three years ago, he brought me an application for the Colorado Antelope drawing. We fille dthem out and did not get drawn. The next year we did so again. Feeling confident we would get drawn on the third try, I sent off a Ruger model 77 in 25-06 and had it rebarrelled to 25-06AI.

We got our tags in the mail this last summer for area 145, SW corner of Colorado. I loaded some 115 Nosler BT and they will run in the 3400FPS range. I felt this would do the trick. He opted for the 140 A max from his 264.

I talked with SKB from here several times over the next months getting helpfull information as to what to expect and how to go about making a successfull hunt.

On Thursday at 8 am of October the 2nd, I had the oppurtunity to return a favor that was long over due. I loaded him up in my truck and we began our trek to Colorado. At the 2'nd stop for gas, he walked over to pay his turn. I told him he didn't get a turn. This was his trip, my truck, my food, my gas, my camper, just sit back and relax. We arrived in Colorado on Friday morning. Stopped at the Campo Cafe and met a rancher. After a conversation with him, we had a place to camp on his property just out side of town.

We got settled in and set up. We began searching out places to hunt from the Comanche National Grasslands map that evening. By dark, we had not found an antelope and had only seen one set of tracks. We eliminated those tracts from our map and decided we would look at the other tracts the next day, opening day.

Once back to camp, I grilled up some Ribeyes and fried some taters.
DSC_0170.jpg

Here is dad Relazing and talking with mom while the steaks cook.
Here is a house on the place we were staying. The owner said his grand parents raised 6 kids in this. It was the house they built when they moved out of the Dugout they had been living in.
DSC_0190.jpg

DSC_0191.jpg

DSC_0187.jpg

Opening Morning, I fried up some sausage and eggs and we headed out.

We spotted a heard about the time the sun broke over the trees. I tell dad there is a good buck and he gets first shot. He hit him a little forward at 347 yards (Leica 1200) and cut his throat with the A max. I went into a stalk on the herd as they went over the next ridge. I closed to 350 yards, again Leica1200 afirmed this, and I sent a bullet into his front right shoulder from a sitting position off my Harris bipod.
CODadandI08.jpg

Dad's hearing is not what it used to be.
dad-HUH08.jpg

I field dressed them and took them to camp. Sent dad into town for ice and had both in the ice chest by the time he returned. That evening PDBuster, the rancher and his wife and a very nice officer of the Colorado Game and Fish Dept showed up. They were all treated to a Cajun shrimp boil. We shot PD's on Sunday and headed home on Monday. Stopped in Oklahoma and did some coyote hunting, but no takers. Got him home Tuesday Night.

Payback was complete.

Great story Randy....whether you had success with Antelope or not....It was great you got to treat your dad to the trip and to spend some really great time with him..

Also, when I dig it out from our move,,, I have something to send to you..

Bill

Great story, Randy. My Dad's 73, and probably not in as good a shape as your Dad. I need to think about doing something like that for him. There's some payback due here too.

Really good story, thanks for sharing it.

Another good deed by Rajn.

Can you imagine raising 6 kids in that "house"??? Really makes you think dont it?

You guys that have dads still around, don't put this off. I can still remember the good times I had hunting with my dad before he died (32 years ago, I was 15). Really wish there would have been a lot more days in the field. Can remember him taking my older brother & I with him the very first year that KS had deer tags available (1965). He didn't get one, I am sure due to taking us boys along.

Pay backs are great! I managed to take my father to Canada on a week long fishing trip about 10 years back, what an experience. The even better part of the trip was including my son of 10 years of age. I did split some time fishing with both during the week, but dad really enjoyed the time fishing with the grandson the most I'm sure. Pops now retired and winters on the coast of Texas. I would really love to get him out and do some coyote calling if I could get him home for a few days during the winter, but he's really hooked bad on the specks and redfish down there on the coast. I still feel that I owe him a little more payback though.

I'm glad you finally got to take him, and be a part of it. I hope to take my Dad on a south Texas hunt(no fence) one of these days.

Randy:

You are top notch! You display your "raising" very well, and your parents get "payback" each time they watch you go about your daily routine. Nice job, to payback with the antelope hunt, together! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Gordy

Great hunt,

I know you enjoyed the time together!

I saw some bucks that were in the shedding process this week. I like seeing the antelope. As many as I have seen, I have never shot one.

Perhaps one day I'll get the itch to do something about that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barry

Thanks all for the comments.

We made our annual opening day Whitetail hunt on the old family place in Southern Arkansas this weekend. Another good story I will share in the firearms section when I get a chance.

What a great "payback". That's one he'll always remember - and so will you.
Now, how about a payback for Mom. An all expense paid trip
to Neiman-Marcus maybe?

Back