223 bullet for no pelt damage

So far for me its a 5ogr.Hornady sp at about 2800fps,but if your shooting long distances you may want higher velocity.
Right now Im trying out 40gr.v-max at about 3,000 fps.

I too am using the 40 grn Vmax, at longer distances.. 100 and over damage can be very minimal.. but at closer yardage, it can be damaging depending upon the hit.

this is very interesting, while I have always trained for bullet placement and left the sales pitch to the bullet builders for the blood trail. Some blow through, some blow up and out, some don't do much but kill. Example my mother (67) shot the big tom bobcat with a 308 (150 SP), broadside at about 70 yards. The bullet never exited and preserved the critter very nicely for mounting. Cat measures 37 inches from nose to tail. Mean while I kill dozens of critters with 17 HMRs to 220 swifts and everything in between and I get six inch holes blow throughs and all kinds of damage. I load every different types of bullet into all my calibers, so keep up with this blog so us old timer loaders and shooters get that new prespective. I have been sponsored by the big bullet manufactures and use their bullets- all kill but many do lots of damage. Keep center, James

30 gr. Berger match/varmint at about 38 to 3900 fps.

Good for coyote up to 200+yards and fox at any range you can hit it.

Dave

I like your quote Sailor, when I joined the MC late 70s- my very close uncle (USN Chief RET) would tell me he rather have a sister in a wh---house than a brother in the Marines. He is long gone- but well remembered. Thanks for serving GI.

Yes Berger has sponsored me on about 2K bullets of different calibers in the past- great company, great product, and great people. I have earned many titles with the Berger 80 Match bullet in a M16. Thanks again. JHG

Gunny,

I just couldn't make up my mind which was the most derogatory. Marine/Liberal, Liberal/Marine? Etc. Etc.

LOL
I only spent 20 years USN then dicided I needed to get a real Job.

Semper Fi.

Dave

I laughed out loud sir, I did 27 + as a trigger puller.

I saw a great quote on the head bulkhead at stonebay (MCB CL) while shooting the MC Championships in 2001;

"the average Marines takes 4 years to learn how to become a civilian, the really dumb ones much longer" another one that has haunted me.

happy Vets day GI, keep center and keep driving boats- leave the trigger pulling to those who know how(HA). James

Hey Gunny; I will be at one of the RV fam camps in Canyon Lake the week of thanksgiving. Any chance of getting together for some predator hunting?
ob dash obrien at MCHSI dot com

Cya OB

need to send me a note on the message board- I aint smart enough to figure that out. Only problem with hunting critters right now is deer season. My ranch is solid booked- but other options may be possible. Best time around here is after mid jan, when the gut piles slow down and the hunters leave the woods. But let us talk. JHG

KOOOOL on Uncle Ted, I talked to him last year via email, he was supposed to come down for hogs and yotes- but he gets too busy and it was a dry year so hogs were busy elsewhere anyway.

Berger knows what they are doing, but like any real good bullet they cost a lot. Shawn at Berger won the National Service Rifle Championships at Perry last year (223)- first time in decades that a civ took the stage. Talking with them a year ago they had a new line of varmint bullets but had not fully entered the varmint market yet. They sent me about 2K different caliber bullets to sponsor a youth varmint hunt deep south in Laredo TX, bullets were just awesome- look baddd to the bone also. As for long range shooting I give it to Berger hands down, but cheaper to practice with A-max or seirrias. There is a new mouse trap being built everyday- so many options- need to see what the pet load is for each rifle. Keep center, James

I had great success with a very low tec bullet, a 55g Winchester soft point loaded behind 26.5g of 748 with a muzzle velocity of 3050 fps. They hit like an anvil and rarely ever exit. These bullets are dirt cheap, and the key is not to push them much over 3000 fps because they are soft. They also work fantastic on p. dogs and ground squirrels.

If you are hunting cats and foxes, then change your load to 12.0g of Blue dot with a 40g Speer Sp for a velocity of 3000 fps which is extremely accurate. The bad thing about blue dot is that you have to weigh every one of them. This load drops the 223 down to the 22 Hornet level. 14.3g of Blue dot in my rifle is doing 3300 fps and is extremely accurate in my rifle at 200 yards.

Gunny; I tried sending you a message on the Private message board (PM) but it said you were not accepting private messages. Maybe you need to change your preferences.

Looking forward to meeting you thanksgiving week even if we can't go hunting.

Cya OB

Back