13 days 77 coyotes (pics updated)

Great story Q, and that is a fine looking skinning pole.

Congrats on a good hunt.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

How prime were those Texas coyotes?
I know you have a pretty strong opion about shooting unprime fur.
The hides up here in MN are still looking a little blue as of 11-3-08.

wow!!!!!!! it looks like you are hunting north west TX? I hunt south TX, lots of activity - but I hear the yotes are thicker northwest Midland/Lubbock area. Great job and thank you for sharing. Keep Center JHG

I've heard so many reports about mange in Texas, doesn't look like you guys had any problems at all. Did you see any mange during your hunt?

Thanks guys, it is always fun to read about and share success stories. That is what makes BBS fun. You get to hear real stories in real time by real hunters. I enjoy reading them all and try to contribute my self when I get time.

The coyotes in TX were not fully prime yet but are definitely sellable. We knew going in that they wouldn't quite be there yet but TX coyotes, for the most part are a flatter more commercial type coyote to begin with. In other words the price of a late October TX coyote will not be that much less than a December one. There are some areas in the northern panhandle of TX that actually has a pretty nice coyote if you can find one with out mange. LOL But the areas we hunted the quality is just not there.

There is very little mange in the areas we hunt. There are several areas in TX that have been ravaged by mange though. Here in NE we are going through a mange cycle and the coyote population has really declined in my area. SD has been hit bad and now I am getting reports that some areas of Eastern WY is getting hit.

By this writing there will be very few coyotes here in NE that are blue. It is amazing what a week or so will do at this time of year. Looking forward to putting a few down tomorrow.

Good hunting.

Q,

Most of the coyotes came as singles but the night we killed 12 I doubled on 3 out of 4 opportunities. Randy had an opportunity at 1 double and got them both as well. On another night Joel was up in the chair and killed two doubles back to back which is very impressive as my chair is set up for right-handed shooters and he is a southpaw. Actually all of the above were two singles coming in on the same stand a few minutes apart. They are commonly called doubles but are not "true" doubles.

If I remember right I think I got the only true double of the trip. I had an opportunity at two other true doubles but was only able to take one on each occasion because of the thick brush.

We used a variety of calls on this trip. Because of the high volume of stands and how my night hunting rig is set up we leaned on Miniskas "Big Country" for the bulk of our calling chores.

Good hunting.

Q,

That is so awsome! I cannot waight till I can hunt full time through the winter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
very impressive!

Wow!!!Thats all I can really think to say.That is very impressive.Way to go guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif
I like that skinnin machine that you got there.I need somethin like that for my pickup.It sure would be easier skinnin critters that just hit the ground instead of waitin until I get home when their all cold and stiff.

Back