Future may not be sooo dim!

Excellent info and points, TN.

I believe the term for what you are describing about the Feds is "unfunded mandate."

The other thing I want to make clear, when I talk about states, not TN or AZ where you two guys are from, or Yellowhammer's TX, in most other states for public school teachers to work they are COMPELLED to join that union, the NEA. They are COMPELLED to pay it dues from their checks. In theory, they can 'opt out' of the portion of their dues that the NEA uses for political activities (like donating to support 'gay marriage,' 'anti gun groups' and other liberal causes) but many aren't aware of this option and are also pressured not to do so.

Just this morning here on AM talk radio, so I don't have an internet link, they were discussing how...

Item: at Franklin High School, near me, in Reisterstown, MD, kids were REQUIRED to watch the Obama acceptance speech and to take notes on it. OK, that's of some historical significance, but were they also asked to watch McCain's eloquent concession speech? No, of course not. Because the teachers have already fostered an atmosphere of Obamamania there. And...

Item: At Pikesville High School, also near me, students who wore Obama logo'ed shirts were paged over the PA system and brought together for a group photo for the yearbook. Kids with McCain/PALIN shirts were not included. To me, this little stuff is just very typical of tax dollar salaried, leftist NEA staff subtly pushing an agenda on the kids.

Stuff like this, and certainly egregious stories like Savage's (as a NM resident, his public schools also suffer under compulsory unionism) just boil my blood and make me get out my soapbox over this situation.

If I lived in AZ or TN I very well might send my kids to your two guys' schools, where you teach, because it sounds like learning actually occurs there and political indoctrination does not.

There is value, I think, that my kids miss out on by not going school with their neighborhood playmates; there would be a really reduced hassle-factor if I didn't need to adjust my work schedule around dropping off two kids at two different schools in the AM and making two pickups in the afternoon.

And then there is the money. My youngest boy has special needs (autistic) and his school the first year cost me $70K! (It has since come down quite a bit, but is still steep) and the other boy's religious school costs in the low five figures. That year all my (now ex) wife and I did was work to pay that.

I also have many friends here on PM who have faced this challenge by homeschooling and, IMO, that takes incredible dedication and cost, too.

Again, if I lived in a Right to Work state and could send my kids to people like you guys I would probably do so, but for me and my kids, unfortunately, because of our life's context we cannot just leave MD--as much as I'd like to.

Obviously, from the perspective of the parents and from people like you two guys--the dedicated, non-unionized, hard-working public school teachers, this is a very frustrating situation...

Java,

The items you mention are far too common in the public schools. Requiring students to participate in an event that is obviously politically bent (in either direction) is criminal indoctrination, and should not be tolerated. It's not a matter of race, not a matter of gender, it is a matter of education. This is an historic event - but it is not the only historic event, and should not be given special consideration.

Education is not about passing along beliefs - that is the job of parents. If I disagree with someone on some point that is based in our belief system, that is fine, as long as we both have critically analyzed our stance and position, and have a knowledge base whereby to make a valid and reasonable argument. We may never change each other's mind, but we will understand the other a little bit better, and this, in my opinion, should be the goal of education - to create thinkers.

You know, the local judge pointed out a very intriguing little fact here recently when we were discussing the difference between the general values of the coasts versus us in the middle.

A local school district and school board just had a big to-do, controversial meeting over whether teachers should be allowed to have tattoos that are visible when regularly attired. Yet, in San Francisco a school board approved a school sponsored field trip for an elementary class to attend their gay teacher's wedding.

Big difference.

I must say, that I attended a very rural public school and cannot remember a single instance of any kind of "indoctrination" I still know all of my teachers and they are all good folks. I imagine several of them voted blue recently, but they're good country people

I also attended the University of Missouri Kansas City for business school, and when I actually attended I can only remember one teacher that regularly brought politics into the classroom, and he was a Republican finance teacher.

I then attended the University of Tulsa Law school, and only remember one teacher that brought up politics, and that was our Native American Constitutional law professor.

But I hear stories from friends that attend the University of Missouri that regularly get into arguments with their left-leaning professors.

Bake

Back