6MM PPC OR 6MM BR The pros and Cons Good and Bad

dds

I have a Friend who wants to build one of these and He asked Me what I thought , I have no experance with these cals , witch has the longest brass life ? What twist rate is best and barrel lenght? Has any one built one of these in 22 or 24 inch light weaight Critter gitter? The 6mmBR would be My pic. any info would be apperacited Thanks Dan

Where you at in Utah? I know several gunsmiths in that state that would build ether of them. For shooting animals I would go with the BR. For shooting paper PPC. Or just get a 22PPC and do both.

years ago, I had ARS of odessa tx rebarrel a ruger mini-30 to 6 ppc, nice lil rifle, I've used it gathering fur and a bit of deer hunting. I have a no turn neck, just load and shoot, maybe not a tack driver but its the best shooting mini in this part of the country. think for normal hunting ranges it would be a toss-up.
RR

I have one out of the first shipment of Sako 6PPC's to hit the states. Unbeliveably accurate but the Sako brass in extremely hard to find and expensive when you do locate some. You can make brass but that is a pain. Get the 6BR and I believe you will be happy.

The PPC rules the 100-200 yard benchrest world. The 6 BR may not compete with the PPC at the highest levels of comp BR shooting, but it comes [beeep] close. I would go with the BR. Have it chambered for Norma brass and a no turn neck and start shooting bugholes.

One of the guys at the range had a Savage F Class in 6BR. I asked him how he like it and he said the only complaint is that his 5 shot 1 hole groups were oval shaped instead of completely round! LOL!

Chunks, no flames here. Just facts. 40,000 100-300 yd group shooters are not wrong. The 6PPC will outshoot the 6BR. It's a case size relative to boresize issue. Many BR shooters shortened the 6BR case to equal the 6PPC and it worked! If you are building a rifle to compete in registered BR matches, then go to the tightnecked 6PPC, built on a state of the art BR rifle. If you want to shoot lots of 600 yd. BR, PD's, gophers, groundhogs, informal paperpunching and such, do like others have said and build a 6BR.

Here's my question: I already own a sweet little Sako Vixen in 6 PPC. I'd like to take it out for deer, but limited to the lighter bullets due to twist I really can't find one suitable. It simply amazes me that Nosler makes a 22 Partition, but nothing for lightweight 6mm's. Anyone one else care to let me in on a decent bullet for deer in the 75 gr range?

PS- I'd go with the PPC. Brass isn't all that hard to get, and, as was mentioned earlier, all those competitive shooters can't be wrong.

Quote:
I have a Friend who wants to build one of these and He asked Me what I thought , I have no experance with these cals , witch has the longest brass life ? What twist rate is best and barrel lenght? Has any one built one of these in 22 or 24 inch light weaight Critter gitter? The 6mmBR would be My pic. any info would be apperacited Thanks Dan

A lotta replies are to get the PPC.

If your friend wants to build a competitive Bench Rest rifle, then don't ask here, go to www.Benchrestcentral.com that's the place for this question.

But if your buddy wants to build a rifle for PD, or other live stuff, or for long range target shooting...

... then the 6mmBR with a no turn neck is IT!

Catshooter thanks for Your reply that is what He wants and this will give Me the ammo I need Thanks again to all of You who had input Dan

I'm with Cat. The 6br is better for a "critter Gitter". The advantages of the ppc to the 6br are VERY minimal (1/100's of an inch may mean something in top BR competiion)but will never be seen shooting in field conditions . However, the speed diff can be seen afield. I put together a 6br for coyotes & such a few years back & it is now my favorite. You'll find youself shooting alot more paper once it's here.

Can't go wrong with 6br!

I guess no one has ever build a tight neck varmit rifle in 6ppc or 6br using 1/14 twist barrels except me. Of the two I shoot the 6ppc more.

Quote:
I guess no one has ever build a tight neck varmit rifle in 6ppc or 6br using 1/14 twist barrels except me. Of the two I shoot the 6ppc more.

My 6mmBR varmint rifle is a tight neck with a 14" twist... never again.

Neck turning 1,100 cases really sucks!!

I second CatShooter 100%. Unless you're shooting competitive benchrest, stay away from any tight-necked chambers. I turn necks for my BR rig, but I'm only doing 20-50 at a time, and the cases last practically forever.

I've never owned a tight-neck hunting/varmint rifle, and I never will.

Unlike CatShooter, that's a mistake I didn't have to make to know it's a mistake! It's probably the only one I haven't made, though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mike

the 6PPC has been replaced by the 30BR. The 30BR makes bigger holes, making it a higher scoring chambering than either 6PPC or the 6BR. Bigger holes makes a 9 a 10 when the larger buller clips the 10ring where the 6mm bullet would have left just enough paper to be a 9. This is considering a proficient BR shooter. I have only seen 1 or 2 6PPC's at the Bridgeville DE matches over the last few years,..everything else seems to be a 30BR or 30BAS.

For both game and paper,..I would go 6BR. For strict 100-200yd paper,..it would be the 30BR or 30BAS. MHO

I own a Cooper model 22 in 6BR with a 1 in 10 twist barrel
that shoots 70-90 grain bullets excellant.easy to load,lapua case,neck size,drop in some Varget,add a vmax bullet and go.This gun is great for open country long shots.

Quote:
Quote:

My 6mmBR varmint rifle is a tight neck with a 14" twist... never again.

Neck turning 1,100 cases really sucks!!

Amen brother !

One of my favorite coyote rifles is my 6br. I have no problems with feeding issues as it is built on a M700 repeater. I just blocked the mag box and shortened the follower. Makes a guy feel real confident in the field when you are shooting a rifle that can consistently shoot in the mid .3's for 5 shots quite consistently, like they say "one ragged hole" and this gun makes 'em quite cosistently. I built it with a 12 twist-26" varmint contour tube. This twist seems to be ideal for the 75 Vmax. This bullet @ 3350 fps is the coyote hammer!

My only regret with this gun is it has a tight neck, so I have to turn brass. However with the Lapua brass I am on somewhere aroung 12 firings on this batch with no issues.

Last edited:
When I got into BR I learned how to turn necks and I learned that was part of the game if I didn't like the game I wouldn't of played so I never disliked turning necks.

I fully understand someone not wanting to turn neck and I know you can do the no turn necks for the 6ppc using Laupa brass. I may do one of those just to see.

I started shooting the BR case when the old Sako 220 Russian case supply dried up back then the only cases came from Rem and Rem was making those tight neck 40x's in 6BR and 22Br. Alot of guys turned the rim down on the Br case so they would work on the ppc bolt face. I still have a pretty good supply of 6ppc brass made from 7.62x39 those are good varmit cases.

Back