Record .17 HMR Kills

I killed a 125 pound hog a few years back with a TC in 17HMR, horrible way to dispatch an animal and I hated to do it. I had trapped the hog and was with my young boy- I did not want him to watch. I was under a time restriction to get the hog back to camp, cleaned and processed before it got to hot and we had to leave for the weekend. I shot it 3 times, the first shot just ticked him off as he kept charging me through the trap, the second shot put him on his knees and literaly sprayed blood over my head in a large arch, the third shot laid him down until his brain stopped telling him to run and breath. Sad to kill an animal that way. I would certainly not hunt deer with it, nor risk allowing an animal a slow death when they run away with a broken jaw or blow out eye. As hunters- we appreciate our game, we help manage them and we use them as a resource of some sort. I mainly hunt predators because it is fun and I help manage my deer herd. I get accused of having yote sticks made verses buck sticks since I routinely head out with a varmint rig. But I have a shooter with me for deer (that young boy). A 17 HMR is undergunned for deer, as with so many other small calibers. Some states outlaw any form of a rim fire. JHG

Has anyone seen outdoor university? I saw the host take out a 150lb hog with an air rifle. I cant even phathom why a 17 hmr wouldnt be able to do it. I have one of the el cheapo 17's and it has done a number on everything I have shot. It is VERY impressive.

How did we get to killing large thick skinned animals like a hog on this post anyway ? I thought this thread was about distance in the begining on small game. GySgt I know why you did what you did so no offense to you but for those setting out to kill an animal like deer or hogs with a 17 need to do some research or find another sport. I am sick of post arguing the correct caliber for big game the 300 ultra is to big or the 30/06 is to small, stupid arguement in most cases because it comes down to personal taste because usually both parties are right but in this case their are clear differances the 17 is a small game caliber period end of story and thats not my opinion but that of experts and ballistic performance proof, read the facts. Sorry to go of on a rant

I used to have a savage hvy barrel 17hmr till someone broke in and stole it..anyways it was my go to gut with cci tnt hollow points i killed groundhogs out to 150yds,squirrels were kinda to blew up with the hmr if ya wanted to eat them(i did) got a fox 1 time at somethin like 178 whit cci tnt hollow pionts in 17gr man did that gun love the cci's but it never left me wanting and yes i can see a 17hmr takeing down a wild boar ya just have to know whet the he%^ ur doing is all and be as quick as possible to not make the animal suffer well thats my 0.2 for now hope it hepled yall ?

Quote:
How did we get to killing large thick skinned animals like a hog on this post anyway ? I thought this thread was about distance in the begining on small game. GySgt I know why you did what you did so no offense to you but for those setting out to kill an animal like deer or hogs with a 17 need to do some research or find another sport. I am sick of post arguing the correct caliber for big game the 300 ultra is to big or the 30/06 is to small, stupid arguement in most cases because it comes down to personal taste because usually both parties are right but in this case their are clear differances the 17 is a small game caliber period end of story and thats not my opinion but that of experts and ballistic performance proof, read the facts. Sorry to go of on a rant

I agree about the big game not factoing into anything with .17 in the front of the caliber.

Sometimes we get off track... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Quote:
He is hoping that they will come out with a FMJ bullet for it so he can head shoot deer.

Are there any states that legally allow rimfires for deer? I don't know of any.

I have a ramped up 17HMR load that I've been dying to bring on my next fly in moose trip.. the mosquitos in Canada are HUGE... I popped a crow at 240 with my HMR... Shot a beaver at about 170 and it took 4 rounds to stop it, I felt terrible and sold the gun after that. I'm lookin for a 22 WMR for my light/short varmint and plinking gun.

I was out shooting rabbits one time in Az and was shooting at about 100-125 yards. Was knocking them dead, then my buddy bet me that I couldn't hit one that was WAAAAYYY out in the field. He as using his bino's and I had the scope turned up to 20X. My Leica 1200 said it was 408 (steady as I could get it, might have been the bush just a few yards behind him). I took a SWAG (scientific wild [beeep] guess) on hold over and let her fly. My spotter reported that I was about a foot low. The second shot reported back with a dull whuummmp. I saw the impact through the scope as it took the bullet a second or two or three to get there. It was exactly like big game hunting, the hit (complete with tuft of hair falling off) and then the rabbit hunched up just like a buck hit in the vitals. Made a couple of hops then I shot him again, same reaction. Missed the third shot he made it to his hole. I was unable to recover the rabbit and had to settle for a couple of tufts of hair to confirm my hits.

Maybe 400 is too far for a 17gr. bullet? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Was fun indeed though. Suprisingly accurate out of the savage (don't remember the model off the top of my head, but it's the grey laminate stocked version with stainless barrel/action).

Later, Kelpy

Back