Closed reed howlers

Bigtimber

What would you guys think would be the BEST closed reed howler on the market(custom or otherwise). Seems I always had alittle trouble getting reliable sounds out of open reed howlers. I can produce some decent distress sounds with crit r calls ....but the howlers I've tried anyway give me trouble.Can howl with the standard crit r but I really have trouble sometimes getting it right. Had a good( at least I liked the sound /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ) one years ago but it got lost and I have no idea what brand it was.
So whats the best one to buy?

Bigtimber,
I honestly don't think that there is such a thing as a GOOD enclosed reed howler. I think that you would be better off inserting a crit'r call standard onto a small funnel, a short length of schedule 40 pvc pipe or a cow horn.

I have a lohman closed reed howler its limited to barks and a male howls.Dont give up on the open reed,its way more versatile.

Easiest one I've tried is a Woods Wise, Stinger. It makes distress calls and female howls, very easy to operate and very little wind needed for plenty of volume. Easy to blow "quiet too." I found mine at Sports authority, $10. Also found the JS songdog easy to use, though is difficult for me to control volume is very loud. Honestly though, I'm selling all my various calls to buy Rich Cronks Killer call and a Horn Howler.

Back