Daughter's 2nd Deer

NM_HighPlains

Last year, my then-13 year old decided she wanted to go deer hunting, so she got her hunter's safety card, I bought her a Savage Youth in .243 and off we went! We made a nice stalk and dropped her 1st at < 100 yards with a nice shot through some trees, over a rock, etc. One shot, dead deer.

This year she wanted a bigger buck so we did a little scouting, found one, patterned him a bit and this morning at 6:30 we were out looking. My idea was skirt a ridge which would give us a little elevation and try to intercept the deer as they headed into the timber. Plan worked perfectly and we ended up getting a 200 yd shot (ranged) from on top of the rim as the deer fed below us.

I had DD crawl out onto a rock, get steady with the shooting sticks, and take the shot if she was comfortable with it. I was watching thru the binos when the shot went off. The buck literally crumbled in two, butt first, then chest, then flopped over. A minute later, he kicked once but never moved again. Dead right there. Impressive performance for a .243 shooting 100 grain bullets, I thought. Bullet entered about 8" below the spine and was stuck under the skin on the opposite side- hit a rib there and that stopped it.

Here's a shot that shows the buck well.

DSC00801.jpg

The tree/rock she shot from is right to your left of the gun barrel. We worked our way around the rim to the left as the deer worked their way toward us.

DSC00799.jpg

Mom, daughter, and boys are on the way to the processor right now.

Nice buck, I'm a little jealous. Tell your daughter congrats. How long were his G2's? Looks like a big bodied buck and idea on the weight?

Quote:
How long were his G2's? Looks like a big bodied buck and idea on the weight?

I am getting 16" on the G2. EDIT: I measured some of our other deer and got 12" +/- on them. This one's definitely tall.

No idea on the weight, but we were watching a herd of 11 does, this buck, 2 smaller bucks, and he was clearly the largest of the bunch. Very dark, too- easy to pull out of the herd. We spotted him while gathering cattle this year.

thats a great looking buck. Congrats. That head would look nice on the wall. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

nice buck good job DD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
gotta love hunting with your kids look out though they sure grow up fast.
wish i had a couple more so some would still be home.
grand kids are fun though 6 more years tell the oldest can hunt.

Back