Tips on Fleshing

Chappy_21805

I have a question or 2 on fleshing. I have been told and read that you don't want to cut to the hair folicles right? Well I am doing a Badger i got recently and when i fleshed it i got down to where i can see little brown holes. I didn't go any lower when i first saw those, am i to low or just right?

I've never done a badger but I have done several fox, cats & coyotes.... I'm sure they are about the same.

If you start at the neck the meat & fat will roll up as you go down the hide, if you think you are going too deep you probably are. When I started fleshing I found out real quick that I was putting too much effort into getting the hide spotless, I was cutting into the hide instead of just taking off the excess fat & meat.

Although the pelt is probably still good, I think you are close to going too far. Knock of the excess & put him on a stretcher, it will turn out fine.

Idahosawtooth,
Thanks for correcting me. Like I said, I've never even seen a badger, much less flesh one.

Chappy, I hope you get him finished out.

I got him in the Tan right now, and i'm hoping that he turns out good. I'll let you guys know and thanks for all the advice, it helped a lot.
Chappy

rprince. off topic but have you ever fleshed a otter. I've fleshed alot of animals but otter is by far the hardest i've ever done. The fat needs to be cut off rather than just scraped off like any other animal. I was glad I had alot of experience before I took one on.

slicktree,
I haven't fleshed an otter but I've seen it done a couple times. From what I've seen I could tell they were tough.
I've got a friend that traps a lot of beaver & otter, if I ever run across one I will take it to him.

If the otter prices ever get as high as they were 3 years ago I will definitely try to get a few.

When have you guys found it to be the best time to flesh an animal, whether it be a deer or a predator? When i tried to flesh this badger it was a pain in the butt. I had to cut a lot of the meat and fat off with a carpet knife. It worked sure but took forever!! Maybe it is just badgers in general i don't know.

Back