Southern Nevada Humboldt Toiyabe National Forest hunters...

southwestwalkers

Trying to find out some good calling,hunting areas in the Spring Mountains, Humboldt Toiyabe National Forest just outside of Vegas. All the good trails to hunt off of,etc. Looking to harvest some yotes and cougars.
Thanks for any info /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.
Robb

Last edited:
I just finished hunting in the Hawthorn area ( HWY 95) I couldn't get one to come in . Spoke to the people that lived in those wide spots in the road. They said the drought has hurt population because if yotes food supply is low so is their reproduction. I saw a few Chip monks that would stay still. No rabbits either.I hiked and hiked but nothing. Clerk at Sportsmen Warehouse said he had success in the Gerlach area in Northern NV.

I thought you'd never ask, Im over the hump (Spring mtns) in Pahrump. For calling or Hounds for Lion your best bet would be the Wheeler Pass / Cold Creek area as thats where most of the Deer, Elk and Horses hang out. Carpenter Canyon would be another choice as it has Elk and Deer + flowing water yr round. Bobcats are heavier at the lower elevations and fans and foothills, Coyotes and Grey Fox are everywhere, including all around Pahrump. heres a Lion bayed up in Cold Creek, NV. and me scouting Carpenter Canyon. Bobcat/GreyFox opener starts this saturday.. Good Luck.
[image]
lgwalkingcougar.jpg
[/image] [image]
carpenter1.jpg
[/image]

Yeah, Hawthorne NV has no coyotes that's a fact. I know, because I personally killed em all.
Ironworker, you should have came over to my place, I could have sent you to some productive areas. Don't ask the guy at Sportsmens, I've been hunting Nevada for a few decades...Oh well, next time.

Thanks for the info upsetter. Nice to meet anouther hunter hear in southern,NV

Im thinking on taking the 157 into Kyle Canyon. Then catching the Cathedral Rock Trail. I'm thinking it's the best way to get into Carpenter Canyon?

To get into Wheeler Peak what exit are you taking off the 95?

Thanks for the info. We should hook-up sometime..

later, Robb

Ironworker,

If the William Bonny didn't clear all the yotes out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm sure there are still a few. We can only be wrong. A bad day hunting is better than any day sittin at home doin honey dos..lol
Thanks for your info.
Robb

the best way to get into Carpenter Canyon is take hwy 15 down to HWY 160 west(Blue Diamond exit) towards Pahrump, just as you enter Pahrump take Carpenter Canyon rd all the way to nr the top, theres a stream w/ small cutthroat trout etc.
To get up Wheeler Pass take the same rout just go further on 160 to Wheeler Pass Rd, turn right, theres a left turn you take to get all the way up past wheeler well and the charcoal kilns and over to Cold creek. or if you got a godd 4x4 you could take 95 down and turn right at the big Prison in Indian Springs, this will take you up the pass or to the Bonanza tail, this whole area is your best bet for Lion. The Griffith peak area is ok too, pm me Let me know if I can help. Kyle Canyon is pretty developed w/ camp grounds and houses and lots of hikers etc... although f you hike in somewhere im sure theres stuff up there too, the key here is water - springs, streams, creeks and ponds......

Every predator caller in Las Vagas comes to this site, that mountain ain't big enough for 100,000 predator callers. Lol

You'd all be better off heading over to the extraterrestrial hwy and hunting around area 51, I'll guarantee you'll get some action.

Southwestwalkers, William Bonny was not his real name either.

BTK. "that mountain" - what mountain? Do you mean - mt. charleston ? Im talking the whole Spring Mtn range here from Mt Stirling to Mt Potosi, the best place for Lions are the above mentioned areas as Ive called them, seen them and friends have harvested them right in the Wheeler Pass area. Ive hunted / ran dogs and called that whole area for yrs, and have only seen other hunters/houndsmen a few times and have never seen or heard another caller when I was out or where I was at. Area 51 - north of 95 is a practically inacessible waterless wasteland, a few sheep and coyotes but not an area to bag a Lion! Areas around Beatty and Amargosa are good for fox, bobcats and coyotes, here in Pahrump I can go 5 min. in any direction and get Coyotes nearly everytime, lots of bobcat, kit and greyfox, even a few skunks and Badgers too. In the Lee Canyon and Cold Creek area there are even some Raccoons, believe it or not.

Quote:
Area 51 - north of 95 is a practically inacessible waterless wasteland, a few sheep and coyotes but not an area to bag a Lion!

I wouldn't bet money on that. I personally know of a 200+lb cat that came off the test range area.

I really don't care what mountain you hunt on. Area 51 was ment to be a joke, even though some areas to the east of there can be productive even for lions.

I lived in Pahrump for a short time, to many old people for me. Even lived in Beatty for a couple months, ended up in Smokey Valley tell winter chased me out.

Some good lion hunting is the mountain range east and west of Smokey Valley, both ranges has it share of lions. I've personally seen one on the way from Manhattan to Belmont and called in another in Hot Creek Valley.

You got lions all over this state big time. Then again no other state has more mountains for the lions to roam in.

Crapshoot, a 200 lb lion would be close to record size, but if it came off that range I believe it, was it green?

Head up big smokey valley 376 turn off and go past Manhattan and anywhere from there to Belmont is good. I have had quite a few really good trips into Monitor Valley, but you better get in there soon. They usually take all the cattle out of there, from my experience in there no cattle very little coyotes. gets to cold for the cattle in there. I have seen several lions and alot of tracks in there. Also head up north toward Dianas Punch Bowl.Good areas for lions and if that doesn't pan out you should have fun with the coyotes.

The Lion (duh, not coyote) had been caught in a trap set for bobcats. The lion was already missing the 2 middle front toes on each front paw fromprevious catches in traps. I wont say who or where exactly but I will tell you it tasted pretty good other than being a little dry and tough. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Quote:
Area 51 - north of 95 is a practically inacessible waterless wasteland, a few sheep and coyotes but not an area to bag a Lion!

I wouldn't bet money on that. I personally know of a 200+lb cat that came off the test range area.

Wow 200+ lbs - thats a biggie, the biggest one Ive seen was an estimated 10 yr old tom 180 lbs taken right at the Charcoal kilns up Wheeler Pass several yrs ago. Yes, I know there are a handful up there that follow the sheep around. I know several people that work at the test site, one got attacked by a lion a couple yrs ago you probably heard about. However that area is not in the Spring Mtn range, which is what the original thread was about. Lions can be taken all over the state, but I was simply trying to answer the original post regarding the Spring Mtns, and make some suggestions to help the guy out. If someone asked me today again where to get a lion locally, I still wouldnt send some up near the test site! JMO.........

Anytime, evenings starting at dusk, just calling though, no more chasing hounds for me - bad lower back and just cant keep up anymore.

i live in henderson and was thinking of going on the 95 towards Boulder City then that freeay towards Laughlin and hunting alongs that road towards Laughlin. also to the right of the road going towards Nelsons Landing, and by the Black Mountain area. any suggestions.

Quote:
i live in henderson and was thinking of going on the 95 towards Boulder City then that freeay towards Laughlin and hunting alongs that road towards Laughlin. also to the right of the road going towards Nelsons Landing, and by the Black Mountain area. any suggestions.

I here there yotes in searchlite if that helps, I'm new to this myself.

Back