Live trapping badgers and beavers

MonteMiles

I work as an Animal Control Officer here in SD. I wish I could just catch these critters with conibears or snares but city policy states we cant. Do you guys know of any manufature that makes a quality live trap for beaver and badger? From what I hear you cant just use any ordinary live trap for these. I grew up trapping coons and yotes. Ive snared a few beavers just never dealt with live trapping them. Thanks for the help.

Monte

You're caught between a rock and a hard place.
Seems crazy that they would hire you to do a job and then prohibit you from doing your job efficiently.
Tell them it will take lots of overtime hours to catch them that way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Good luck.
PC

I've seen a live trap for beaver, can't think of what it was called though. It kind of worked like a clam snapping shut. It was a round metal frame, hinged in the center, it had a wire mesh streched loosly around the frame. It was set flat and when the beaver crossed it the trigger allowed it to snap shut, basically catching the beaver in what now looked like a half circle when it got closed. That must sound pretty confusing but it's the best I can do trying to describe it. It was about 3 feet in diameter. It could be set on land or in the water.

I think I have heard of a trap similar to that. I believe it was very dangerous to set.

Im still trying to talk them into letting me set a few conibears for the badger but its right next to a football field in town. Dam policies! But on a good note we are in talks in thinning down the resident deer heard here. I would get to bowhunt upwards of 30 deer and they pay the supplies and I can do it on company time. Needless to say they really had to twist my arm.

Quote:
I think I have heard of a trap similar to that. I believe it was very dangerous to set.

Im still trying to talk them into letting me set a few conibears for the badger but its right next to a football field in town. Dam policies! But on a good note we are in talks in thinning down the resident deer heard here. I would get to bowhunt upwards of 30 deer and they pay the supplies and I can do it on company time. Needless to say they really had to twist my arm.

They taking applications? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Monte there called a "Hancock Life Trap" and they have been used in the city limits here before. I have one but I just let someone borrow it and I will see how long he needs it for

monte for the beaver check suitcase traps, don't know who makes them. on the badger, you can live trap them with a reg. live trap just bait with something like powder river, you just have to put where they are traveling

Monty: Badgers will go right in a regular cage. I have caught many here in Calif. where Cages are all we can Use. Plus the badger don't fight the cage at all, they cant Dig so they just give up and go to sleep, I run some 12x20x36, 10x18x36-8x16x36 and have caught them in all the sizes. Here is one in a 12x20x36. so go for it they will go in and not tear the cage up at all. Yancy

2005desert013.jpg

Back