Lead vs Copper?????????

DennisP

I've just bought a .45 ACP and I want to start loading for it. I'm not sure what to try in it, lead or copper. Of course you can buy boxes of lead bullets a lot cheaper then copper. When I look at the prices of the copper, its about as cheap to buy preloaded rounds. I'm new to shooting pistols so I'm not sure what to do. With lead bulets, do you have to clean more often? Is it harder to clean because of the lead? I also see lead free bullets. What are your thoughts on these.

For target shooting/plinking- load up some cast lead bullets and go at it- will save you tons a $$$ therebye letting you shoot even more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Been shooting 200grn SWC's in my .45 for many years- never found them any more dirty than standard bullets and very accurate to boot.

Nothing wrong with lead, you just need to clean the barrel a little more often. I cast my own, but lead is getting harder and harder to get around this part of Idaho. Most of the tire companies are getting away from lead wheel weights.

I also shoot lead 200 grain swc, oregon trails laser cast. Much easier on your
barrel, legal on ranges for plate shoots, other than defense I wouldn't shoot
anything but lead in my 45.

Use hard cast lead at 900 fps or so and cleaning is not as bad as some think. And BTW the "copper" is a jacket, inside is lead Unless it is one of the all coppper Barns bullets and yes they will run the price up beyond factory ammo.

Back