6 x 45 (6mm 223)

Wishbone

I'm thinking of having a bolt rifle built on a Rem Model 7 action in 6 X 45. It will be used for predators. Anyone have any experience with this caliber on coyotes?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
Thanks,
John

A very good cartridge for a light weight bolt gun. I have far fewer runners using the 6x45 and a good 60-70gr. bullet than any bullet in the .223 Rem.
John

John, that is what has been holding me back I guess. Wondering if a 6mm bullet will kill better than a heavy .224 bullet out of the same case. I plan on using a 75-80gr bullet. Don't shoot at long distances anyway.
Tks,

With few exceptions, the heavy .224" bullets are either not very good hunting bullets or are so darn expensive I don't like to shoot them. There are plentiful 6mm bullets in the same weight range that are excellent killers. Also, I find that I can keep the 80gr. Sierra Blitz at minute of prairie poodle for the same distance as any load in my .223's.
John

I've been curious about that round myself. Searching on the web didn't turn up too much info but I did run across this listing for velocities, can somebody confirm that they are at least in the ballpark figure?

6x45 Velocities

60 grain at 3200ft/sec
70 grain at 3100ft/sec
80 grain at 2900ft/sec
85 grain at 2800ft/sec
90 grain at 2700ft/sec
100 grain at 2600ft/sec

peace.
unloaded

I am getting 3050fps with 68gr from mine in a 22inch barrel. I was able to to 3100fps with the 65gr. so I would say the data above is accurate especially if you were using a 24inch barrel.The accuracy is impressive I have shot the smallest groups I personally have shot with this caliber.Could have been luck.

For what it is worth I have a custom 6X47 that shoots bugholes with 70 grn SBK's and 65 grn V-max. Nosler's in 70 grn shoot as well and all three have taken coyotes without a single spinner (like I used to occasionally get with my .204 35 grn Berger's)all have been DRT. My velocities are right at 2950-3000 fps. I believe the 6x47 can get a hair more velocity than the 6x45 but I am not pushing it to that end.

IMO whats the point, you have to use the same action size as a 243, why not use the full size of the action, if you want you can always download a 243 to those speeds, the 223 case pushing a 6mm bullet pretty much does nothing well, the light bullets will not shoot any flatter than 223 projectiles, and the heavies will have rainbow trajectory. a well loaded 223 can easily push a 60 grn bullet in excess of 3200 fps, I just don't see what is to be gained, with a 243 you can load it light and shoot like a 22-250 or load it heavy for a serious long range gun

I've looked over some different load data and have not found a load for 3200 FPS out of a 60 grain bullet. Comparing apples to apples, I have loaded for both the .223 Remington and the 6 x 45 for years, and I get about 30% more energy out of the 6 x 45 than I do the .223. I do shoot some 60 grain bullet out of my .223, but they don't go out at 3200 FPS.

Even though I do have two bolt-action rifles chambered in 6 x 45, the AR-15 is the real draw for the 6 x 45, not the bolt-action. If the .243 Winchester would fit in the AR-15, we may not be having this discussion.

I have sold MANY 6 x 45 rifles to folks that have hunting predators with the .223 for years, and have been very happy with the added performance they get over the .223.

Seems like you can look at charts and tables that will support or undermine just about anything you want. In reality, I have been shooting and building rifles chambered in 6 x 45 for years, and the folks that have them are definitely seeing the increased performance.

+1 on what Dteh said about the 6x45.

It is all about the added energy over the .223. The 6x45 will have similar, or slightly higher velocities than a .223 with a like weight bullets, but will produce close to 22-250 energy numbers. .223 brass is inexpensive and easy to get a hold of. You stated you don't shoot at longer ranges, so the 6x45 loaded with 65gr V-max, 70gr Sierra HP or 70gr Sierra BlitzKings will serve you very well.

100_3042Small.jpg

i'm not really much of a coyote hunter, but the 6x47 with a sierra 75gr hp will down a dog in a second. just a target of opportunity here at home at roughly 150yrds. i use 204 ruger brass run into the 6x47 die, instead of the normally used 222mag. it works great so far.

OTT custom barreled contender pistol in 6x47. the barrel is fluted and 17 5/8" long. varget is the powder and it pushes the sierra around 2700fps. i also have a MGM 14" 6x45 that i havn't come up with the time to work with yet.

My experience is the 6x45 with the same bullet weight of as the 223 seems to just hit harder anchoring the coyotes, putting them down faster. I shoot 60-80 grain bullets.

I saw an article on the 6x45 a couple of years ago and said... "why bother?" it's too close to the 223. Looked closer and saw that it has almost 30% more energy on target.

I now leave my 223 and 243 at home and strickly take the 6x45.

It's a bug shooter Dtech upper.

I agree, my 6x45 AR has taken several coyotes, all one shot kills. I believe it puts coyotes down harder than any 223 I have ever used. I use mainly 70 - 75gr. bullets with TAC powder and get awesome results. The 70gr 6mm bullet is a great varmint/predator bullet were the 70+ grain 224 caliber bullets are more for long range target shooting. I'm told there is a new article in the October issue of Handloader magazine, I need to pick it up.

if you have Two bullets of equal weight,and equal pressure but one has a larger diameter base. Larger diameter bullet with exceed the smaller in velocity. The both have an equal PSI but the larger bullet has more surface area for the pressure to act on. The 6x45 will be faster than the 223 with equal weight bullet. Some argue the ballistic coefficient of the heavy 22s negates the advantage of the 6x45. I think at typical calling ranges Id rather have the exra short range energy since the 500 yard trajectory doesnt have alot of difference.

Quote:
I've looked over some different load data and have not found a load for 3200 FPS out of a 60 grain bullet. Comparing apples to apples, I have loaded for both the .223 Remington and the 6 x 45 for years, and I get about 30% more energy out of the 6 x 45 than I do the .223. I do shoot some 60 grain bullet out of my .223, but they don't go out at 3200 FPS.

Even though I do have two bolt-action rifles chambered in 6 x 45, the AR-15 is the real draw for the 6 x 45, not the bolt-action. If the .243 Winchester would fit in the AR-15, we may not be having this discussion.

I have sold MANY 6 x 45 rifles to folks that have hunting predators with the .223 for years, and have been very happy with the added performance they get over the .223.

Seems like you can look at charts and tables that will support or undermine just about anything you want. In reality, I have been shooting and building rifles chambered in 6 x 45 for years, and the folks that have them are definitely seeing the increased performance.

I can agree that this really makes the most since in an AR, if you have a bolt gun, just shoot a 243!! anyways I have some milsurp green tip 5.56 ammo, this stuff has a green tip 62 grain bullet, its about the most inaccurate stuff I have ever shot, however if I pull the bullets and seat a 60 grain vmax it will push them in excess of 3200 fps actually about 3325-3350 fps from my CZ 527 no pressure signs or other issues. I have no idea what powder they use for it, but I suspect duplicating it shouldn't be a problem. Its also quite accurate with a number of different bullets and weights, that 62 grain military bullet really sucks

Back