hunting MT. Lions

cathunter2008

I have a question for all mt lion hunters. this is a serious question and keep in mind that i am physically fit and ready for the challenge. what i am wondering is if it is possible to track a mt lion after a fresh snow out in the blackhills in sd. I understand how far they travel but i am wondering if it is possible? My other question is for anybody who actually hunted mt lions out in the blackhills or knows anyone who hunted them out there how they harvested there cat? Any informatino is helpful. Thanks.

I don't know the black hills. I know around here if you head downhill, and then follow the drainage you fall into, you'll find some semblance of civilization.

Aside from the whole "lost beyond recovery" thing, yes, a healthy, fit, and well prepared person can hike down a lion. The problem will be seeing it before it sees you. If it sees you first, there could be quite a cat and hunter (mouse) game happening. You could be in for a several day long hike.

would you say in a place well wooded like the blackhills that lions lay up in a place out of the wind or a steep rock ledge or do they sometimes climb up a tree to sit. obviously i am new to hunting cats. I also thought that maybe tracking and then stopping and calling would be a good idea, how long should i stay on stand and what sounds to use?

I have two words of advice for you,"good dog".Not sayin you can't walk one down,but its a slim to nothing chance.Calling by a kill can work,but as others have said,If they see you first you will never see the cat.Even with one dog the cat will want to go in a tree.I have hunted cats for about 7 years,and dogs are the way to kill cats.Even with good dogs it's not easy,but if you want it it will happen.

I echo what Duane said. You need dogs or you need to trap if you want to kill a Mt. Lion. I've spent alot of time chasing cats and trying to lineout pups that are new to the game and the only way you'll see one is if he's running from dogs up in a tree with dogs barking below. You could hunt for years in an area with alot of mt. lions and never get a good look at one without dogs.

Sorry,CRU is 'Coyotes R Us'. It is a very good board for trapping info. Steve is a Mod over there. They have a predator hunting forum, thats where you could contact Steve.

Maintain, Geordie

I'm sure that dogs is the way to go but in south dakota the kitty season is very new (I think its in its third or fourth season) and dogs are not aloud. No baiting either. to cathunter: a great thread to look at is "Who wants to talk calling lions?" AZWill has some good reading.

Back