Cant decide,,,,,,

1badshee

Im looking at either a 17 remington in the CZ varmint or in 700 in a vs model. Also thinking about a hornet and it is driving me nuts.....

Last edited:
My bad. Do check out the CZ 527 Varmint. I have the .204 in that model and love it. They call it a heavy barrel but really it's more medium. Mine, with a scope, weighs about
8-1/2 lbs. Good luck.

I have one a laminate cz in 223 and really like it and another in 17mk4 coming. The only cons to the cz is the magazine which can be fixed but I like the look of the remmy and I like the feel of the sps and figured this would be even better.

I am a remmy 700 fan but I keep seeing nothing but good written about the
CZ's, All of my remms are good shooters but finicky about loads.

I believe the VS had an aluminum bedding block and is easy to build off of if you ever decide you want something different. I never cared for the protruding magazines on some of the CZ's. They are in some cases very good shooters though.

the vs was made it the 17 rem a few back,they are nice guns a bit heavy if you are going to run and gun or walk alot, i have a cz 527 varmint that i love turkish walnut wicked set trigger and shoots like a house of fire here is the last group that was shot with the cz i cant shoot it any better than this Ron
cz17remgroup.jpg

I like the wood on the cz just wish it came with the kevlar stock, just boucing back and forth between which one I would prefer. Guess it a good problem to have. Im planning on shooting the 30gr bullets also.

17. rem get it while you can,great caliber.for where you live deadly out to 400 plus pretty quiet no recoil,or stray bullets bouncing around.

Is this for real? Is Remington really offering the .17 Rem again? I was trying to find a date on the link but couldn't find one. I guess I'll go to Remington's web site and research this a bit. I've got the CZ 527 Varmint in .17 Rem and I love it. It's the perfect, for me, calling rifle. It's a little shorter than the Remington and quite a bit lighter. There is no doubt in my mind that if Remington was still offering the .17 when I bought the CZ I would have bought the Remington just because. But, I'm extremely happy with my CZ. I'll tell you another plus about the CZ. Most people don't care for the magazine, but I happen to like it. When I'm done calling a spot, all I have to do is pop out the magazine, extract the cartridge and put it back in the magazine, then put the mag in my pocket and I'm ready to roll to the next stand. Pop in the mag and chamber a round. It's alot easier, to me, then having to empty the 700 and have to "do something" with all the ammo. It's a minor detail but it's convenient to me. All this being said, I'd like to have the VS if it's a special run. Good luck with your decision.

I checked out Remington's site and this set up is listed in their "past special runs" catagory. I don't know if this is available or not.

I don't know about the 17 but the CZ in 204 is one sweet shooting rifle. Also I have a Ruger 77-22 in the Hornet. Once the slop is shimmed out of the bolt is too is a fine short to mid range varminter. With the 33gr pills it can be safely loaded up to the 3200 fps range, and has very good accracy.At 100 yards it will pulverize a grounhog with no exit wounds. I have only killed 1 Coyote with this little rifle, 40gr VMax at about 75 yds and she was DOA.
Given the choice between the 204 and Hornet I would probably take the 204.

77Hornet.jpg

I already have a savage in 204, cz in 223, tikka in 243, cz 17mk4 and now the remmy in 17 rem on the way. Guess Ill end up with a well rounded bunch of rifles.

Back