Big coyote tracks ?

FrankenCub

These were taken last year by my mothers house around a deer kill, I'd post the deer too but it's probably a little gory. By looking at the marks the deer was dragged about 20' as it was fighting. The prints have some fresh snow in them also, they didn't have the camera with them when they first found them. The neighbors cows were going crazy, he went to check it out and seen the deer trying to fight something off, he thought it looked like a coyote but said it was too big. The deer was probably 2 years old. What do you guys think ?
[image]
100_2114.jpg
[/image]
[image]
100_2112.jpg
[/image]

Not a very defined print. Could be a large coyote. If thats a front paw print of a coyote. I'd agree, he's probably on the large size.

If the prints were staggered/[width], rather than "in-line" when walking, probably a dog. Coyotes when walking tend to put one paw in front of the other[a narrow line]. Dog prints "generally" are wider set apart[as in abreast].

I'll post a few coyote prints if I still have them.

Looks like some definition was lost because of melting snow and resulting 'spreading' of the print. Toes look a bit spread for a coyote, making it look like more a domestic dog, but that could be the melt at work.

Here's a nice yote print in mud:

DSCF2459.jpg

Pr of wild canine prints. One is a [very large]coyote hybrid, the other is a coyote mate. They were casually walking/hunting along a grassy creek bottom on, moderate hardpack snow cover. You'll note how straight in-line, the prints are as they walked.
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/moreammo/Rustypawprints002.jpg?t=1224687049

Firm prints of the coyote.
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/moreammo/Rustypawprints006.jpg?t=1224687317

Here's a front paw print of the coyote hybrid. Print is campared to my knife hande which is 4" long. I've seen this canine over the last 4yrs. I missed him broadside one day. I [estimate] him around 65-lbs. I believe he is part domestic dog. His color is all/[solid] dark Brown with red tint. No white underside. Looks like a small wolf. http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/moreammo/Rustypawprints001.jpg?t=1224687481

Last edited:
Was wondering cause a few people have said they seen a young wolf a few times. I would like to see one, I seem to be hooked on them. My mother had a timber wolf hybred when I was younger and my wife's cousin has one now. Would like to get one myself, got to get some things in order first.

The only one I know of is an old picture on my mothers fridge, that dog was family to us, and she was my moms best friend. She was naaaasty though, needed to be on her good side that's for sure. IIRC, she came from an Indian reservation in Canada. If I remember I will try to take a pic of that pic and see if it comes out ok. We don't have any pics of my wife's cousins hybred. I've only seen it a few times, at family reunions. That one is also a female. From what I've read the females are better suited as a pet but still they can get a little funny.

Some yrs back a co-worker had a male Alaskian Malamute/wolf hybrid. Canine didn't like men, whatsoever. He kept him on a log chain & circus stake outside. He was huge, especially his head & muzzle. I wouldn't trust any of them.

A lady I went to school with, raised wolves & wolf hybrids. Along with a few coyotes. She had two grey wolves that were the largest I ever seen. Specifically the male.

I had called her 3-4x last yr, to send/mail me some pics. She promised me, she would. But never sent me any.

I seen two wolves while hunting coyote & one wolf late one Winter night, a couple miles South of Marshalltown. That last wolf was following a beaten down deer trail on hardpack snow.

All three wolves I seen looked to be adults. The 1st one I seen, was very large. Two of our toughest hounds fought him, wolf kicked their butt's.

Many yrs ago, over in a State Park. They had a small animal zoo. They had a pr of grey wolves over there, for a number of yrs. Ranger would go into the pen & feed them.
One day he was transporting[if I recall] the male in the front of his pick-up.

Wolf sat beside him[in the cab] as he drove down the road. Suddenly, the wolf turned his way & ripped the arm sleeve down off of his coat[he was wearing it at the time]. Wake up leroy.

Last edited:
BTW, the second wolf I seen. Was while hunting coyote with my Dad. Wolf crossed into another mile section. I got out & measured it's front paw print. If I recall, print was around 3.5" wide x 4.4" long. Coulda be a bit larger in width/length. As it's been 15yrs or so since then. My memory is fading. Wolf was cream colored, what a beaut.

I have a friend who has a 7/8 wolf German shepard cross, they arenot your kind hearted "family"dog. They live by wolf pack rules and you have to also.You have to establish your place in the pack and it better be higher than the wolf crosses. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

For comparison...

here's a pic of a LARGE coyote track with a 25Wizzer case in it.
coyote2almost011.jpg

The track is fresh and is definitely a coyote, since I called him in & winged him.

coyote2almost007.jpg

Never did find him though...

Back