homemade rabbit decoys

Yup!

This one has a motor and a rheostat to control the speed. It looks like a wounded rabbit kicking.
Rabbit_with_power.jpg

This is a simple Silhouette.
Jack.jpg

Here is one I make. It runs on a single D battery.The head rotates at 43 rpm We used two decoys Monday all day and neither used the battery up. I just replace the original with a very small gear motor. Works great.
RabbitFieldClose.jpg

Here is the results of a September hunt with it.
CoyoteDecoys.jpg

Skinner 2

Hey Weasel, You never cease to amaze me! You are one talented guy. Hey I really enjoyed our hunt, sorry we were unable to connect on a yote in my secret area's lol, but that's Utah for ya.

I like these silhouette decoys as well. I've added a white maribou feather hanging from the mouth area to make some movement.
twodecoys.jpg

I've made geese, crow, fox (kit, grey & red), coyote, rabbits and doves out of Cora-Plast (election signs) so far. My next project will probably be a couple of magpie silhouettes and hopefully I can get the magpie sounds on my Foxpro. I think that may add a bit of realism to my set-ups around here. I've made a few other motorized decoys as well, but the one decoy I usually carry is just a bunch of maribou feathers tied to a straightened wire clothes hanger. :rolleyes:

Now how come we did not use these on our hunt, Oh I am sure you don't want to give all your secrets on one hunt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif lol We need to go again, wonder how this new snow and rain will effect the old Coyotes. Oh ya I made a decoy with a feather like yours. I used a camo arrow shaft and tied some feathers on top and some on a string. I need a littler better feathers for the string, so next time I go to town I will get some. Hey wanna go in the morning? I have tomorrow off work so let me know. I will call you in a bit to chat.

Oh BTW I purchased the sound device so we can change our fox pro sound's. Should be here tomorrow.

Right off I will say I dont know much about decoys. But what I use is a pure fur hat that I toss in the snow. Just started using it the last couple times I went out. One coyote locked onto it and charged right into it. A magpie liked it too. Thought I would just toss that idea in.

What type of motor do you guys use, and where did you get it? I've thought about windshield wiper motors and such, but those things, and the battery, would be pretty heavy to lug around. Appreciate any ideas.

I made a decoy out of a 5 dollar daniel boone coon skin cap fastened with washers and small nuts on a 36 inch threaded rod. I push the rod into the gorund about 12 inches and tie a 20 lbs test finsihing line towards the top. I sit away from the decoy and twitch the finshing line and the whole thing flops around pretty good. Only used it on 1 stand for about 5 minute though with no luck. Brian

Originally posted by loud one:
[qb]What type of motor do you guys use, and where did you get it? I've thought about windshield wiper motors and such, but those things, and the battery, would be pretty heavy to lug around. Appreciate any ideas.[/qb]
I've used part #273-223, 1.5-3.0 volt DC Motor from Radio Shack. They only cost a couple of bucks and will run off of one small (AAA) battery, but I usually wire a battery holder in parallel to use 4 AA's, 2 C's, or 2 D's. These work well for moving a light-weight decoy such as foam or feathers. Radio Shack has larger motors (don't have the part #) for moving heavier decoys.

I kind of like the idea of a teddy bear with one hand up like he is waving. Can you just imagine what is going through Mr. Coyote's mind just before he is smacked with 50 grains of lead? "What the..........???" :eek: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

At wally word after xmas they where selling a battery opperated back massager for 2.39 (looks like a lady bug or a bumble bee) I stole a stuffed kitten from my baughters pile of unnoticed animals and placed the vibrator in it.it works like a charm!!!

Back