A combo hunt in Montana

Switch

I had the pleasure of meeting Ursus21 (Troy) out in Montana for a combo hunt. Troy invited me to put in for an antelope tag and we both got drawn for the same hunting zone. He also suggested we may have time to call a few predators if we tagged out early. He didn't have to twist my arm.

The first day we chased antelope for most of the day with Cory, the land owner. We finally found a herd that cooperated and we both shot bucks towards the end of the first day out.

The next day we did some predator calling. On the second stand we had a hard charger come into a combo of a Braz handcall and the FX5. After a close encounter, Troy dropped the fleeing coyote on the run.

CoyoteSidney1.jpg

The next stand we were just about to get up and we spotted a coyote circling the call across a canyon. He stopped just long enough to catch a .204 at 150-yards.

coy21.jpg

We had another one come in fast at the next stand, but we couldn't connect. The next day we had a lot of action. Another hard charger came in quick and we did the old, "I thought you were going to shoot" deal.

We had another one peak at us at about 500-yards, but wouldn't commit.

The next stand we were again about to leave when I spotted a pair coming in. I tell Troy and we get set. They come over a slight hill at about 75-yards on the trot. I put the cross hairs on the chest and pull the trigger and 'CLICK' They both take off and I ended dropping her as she took off.

coy61.jpg

A few stands later we get a triple to come in and I drop one out at 185-yards. The others left in a volley of lead without much damage.

IMGP00531.jpg

Oh yeah, we both shot nice antelope too.

IMGP00131.jpg

Thanks again for the invite, Troy. I had a great time on the hunt and really enjoyed meeting you, Cory and your family.

Last edited:
Nice dogs and speed goats! I live in Montana and me and my wife were arguing where abouts you were. I say Judith Basin, and she says south of Great Falls. So what is the verdict? Please don't tell her that she is right! Ha, Ha!!!

Nice looking bucks Tim, coyotes are looking nice up that way too!!!! Good job... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Switch and I had a great time. The animals were cooperative as was the weather. We both learned a few new things in regards to hunting predators and I'm seriously considering changing Switches' name to "Click", but I'll cut him some slack just this once. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I do have one more photo I would like to post and it's one of my favorite of the trip. This is what our first day looked like by about 3:30pm. Definitelyl GOOD TIMES!
antelopetroysmaller_272183.jpg

Troy, definitely one to remember. I had a great time and I definitely see why everyone drives a truck out there. You've got to put all that game somewhere.

I hope Cory eventually got over our rabbit shoot...I could tell he was upset that we were taking out all his rabbits, especially as he pulled the trigger. LOL

Oh yeah, I will never forget the 'CLICK' stand. That was some funny stuff.

Sounds like a great time guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Those are some nice bucks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif. Like dogboy said the fur is looking good on those northern coyotes

Hey CLICK (Tim) Nice going there. I've seen you miss before but never Click. I thought that was only me. Welcome to the club.

Congratulation to You and Ursus21. Those are some nice looking Antelopes and coyotes too.

Me miss, what are you talking about? LOL.

As Troy mentioned, we couldn't tag out fast enough on the antelope. We both wanted to get after the predators.

It was great to see some different terrain and meet some great people. The land owners mother even let us skin out our coyotes in her front yard, off the only tree in the state...of course her front yard was somewhere around 12,000 acres.

Actually, when I told the lady (80+ years old) we were just interested in coyotes, she lit up and said, "GOOD!" She doesn't have much love for coyotes, because they hang out just a little too close to her house. She was very glad to have us out there.

I'm still wondering I'm going to top that trip this year. Might not be possible, but I'll sure try. I had so much fun that I'm still in a good mood and riding a natural high.

Back