430 yard rabbit. .243 AI

Verminator2

I got up this morning and went over to our haystack to see if I could kill any rabbits before school. After 5 minutes of waiting a rabbit hopped out right about there

243Ai023.jpg

at 430 yards. I checked my chart and and dialed up 4.5 minutes of elevation, no windage. I squeezed the trigger and heard a nice solid thump. The Hornady 87 gr. V-max completely emptied the rabbit at 430 yards! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Too gory for the forum though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The view looking back at the snipers hide /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

243Ai024.jpg

See if the wind dies down and hopefully shoot one or two more tonight.

Thanks guys. Hardcore, just got to practice, it's not to hard to get the elevation, just windage. Went out tonight, no bunnies wanted to die though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Took a couple shots at the steel you see in the back of the first picture. Dialed for 600 instead of 670, so I missed the first couple shots until I figured out my problem, then I nailed it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

is there a guide, or something i can read, that will teach me MOA adjustments or somthing of the type. people have tried to tell me how to do it but with out the formula on paper in front of me i just cant grasp it.

Not much to it, don't know of any guides. Here's my explanation. So say you have 1/4" clicks at 100, 4 clicks equals one inch, or one MOA. So at 200 yards, what does 1 click equal? 1/2", 1/2" x 4 clicks, equals 2 inches. So one MOA = 2 inches at 200 yards. Just think about it, 4 clicks equals one MOA at any distance. The first number at any range is how many inches equal one MOA. So...

300 = 3 inches,
400 = 4 inches,
500= 5 inches,
600 = 6 inches,
ect.

Now on your scope, if it has turrets, they will have small marks, and big marks. The big marks mark off every 4 clicks, or one MOA. This one has every 2 MOA marked off with numbers, but you can see the big marks in between each 2 MOA.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n43/Tomcat088/P1010338.jpg

You can print off a trajectory chart with MOA, or clicks, either work. I like MOA as its a little faster. Hopefully this helps? Anymore questions just ask.

ok i see MOA but how does it apply to aiming the shot.

if im zero at 100yrds and i need to shoot someting 200yrds away adn i click one MOA up will hit 2" higher than my zero?
so how do i know how many MOA at a distace? what will my gun hit at 200 yrds or 300 or 400? is that knowing the balistics of the given round at each 100yrd mark?

i think im figureing this out as i talk...

If you are zeroed at 100, and go one MOA up, you will be 1 inch high, as your zero was at 100. Now if you were zeroed at 200 and went one minute up you would be 2 inches higher than your zero, does that make sense? Knowing where your gun will hit at 200,300,400, ect. is know the ballistics of your rifle with that ammo. I started thinking about it and here is what I got for a formula.

One moa at 100 yards equals 1.047 inches (that isn't much at 100, but it comes into play at longer ranges)

Now you have your range, lets say 500 yards. So 1.047x5= MOA at that range. We use 5 because thats about the number of inches 1 MOA is at 500 yards. We times it by 1.047 to be more exact. (you will use 4 if you are finding 400 yards, or 3 if you are finding 300 yards, ect.)

So 1.047x = 5.235 Now take the amount of inches that your rifle drops at 500 yards and divide it by 5.235, that is your MOA.

My rifle drops 31.5 inches at 500 yards, so 31.5/5.235= 6 MOA. Follow those instructions and you will get your MOA at each range. You will be better off to get your drop by shooting as that will be exactly right, not just close, which is what computer programs get you. Then do those above instructions.

Hopefully you understood all that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ok
fist number of distance = T
T * 1.047 = X
inches in drop at T00/x = J MOA = J*4 clicks up

forgive the exponents

or
not really sure of the drop on my .223 lets just say 4in

distance 300
3 * 1.047 = 3.141
4/3.141 = 1.27 MOA

so five clicks up?

Good shootin man.Jeeze that was a heck of a shot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
The furthest shot I've made was on a prairie dog at 300 yards exactly.
I read that stuff about the MOA and theirs no way I can understand that.Too much math type stuff envolved.If you shoot at somethin and hit low and to the left.Aim higher and more to the right of it.Thats how I do it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Pretty good V2. Nothin' quite like hearing that meat report for confirmation, ehh?

Quote:
ok
fist number of distance = T
T * 1.047 = X
inches in drop at T00/x = J MOA = J*4 clicks up

forgive the exponents

or
not really sure of the drop on my .223 lets just say 4in

distance 300
3 * 1.047 = 3.141
4/3.141 = 1.27 MOA

so five clicks up?

U need to be into this stuff HC. U can see that u have at least a passing interest in math, and that's just the right mentality for this stuff. It's a whole new level of shooting really, and is a kick to play with. Would be kind of interesting to range that steel tgt. with that plex reticle too in the picture, but not enuf info to do it.

Looks good to me.

If u really wanna' get into this stuff to intermediate ranges u'll need to know/do the following--

1) A good understanding of ballistics programs (there's a bunch of web freebies out there--i often use JBM ballistics program. Just google it and it'll come up for u).

2) Get a chronograph. I usually use the Chrony's. They typically do a good job and r cheap and quick to set up.

3) Learn to put the reticle to work. I often just use a simple plex reticle for rangefinding, and downrange zeroing (learn the difference between 2nd and 1st focal plane reticles also--2nd focal plane reticles function in an inversely proportional manner, i.e. as magnfication INCREASES reticle measurements [subtensions] DECREASE). This means a certain power can often be calcd. for rangefinding and downrange zeroing use--fun to play with. Look at something outside with your optic and change the power--u'll immediately see what i'm talking about.

4) Get a cheap windmeter and learn the feel of 5,10, etc mph of wind and match the reticle or the turret to your bullet's horizontal trajectory too.

5) Get some steel to shoot at and test trajectory calcs. etc. at longer ranges. Call the local brickyard and see if they use cinder block molds to make their block. If they do they get rid of it when it gets out of spec. GREAT stuff to shoot at, and usually free. Burn holes in them to suspend it. Get 3 pieces of rebar, 2 copper or galvanized plumbing T's and pound 2 of the rebar into the ground, set the T's on top and slide the 3rd thru parallel to the ground. Hang steel with S-hooks (the knid u find on rubber bungee cords that r always laying around on the road).

GET A LASER RANGEFINDER. Others will add to this no doubt. Here's a link to an article u may be interested in--

www.ottllc.com/specialtypistols/sp20.pdf

Thanks guys for your help..

sorry to derail your post so badly, it truly was a superb shot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Hardcore, just look up the ballistics info on your rounds and it will help out alot at distance shooting. The drop on a .243 Win will be TOTALLY different that a .223 Rem. Just like anything else its about practice and knowing your equipment.

No worries man. And yes you were correct with your math. I also use the JBM program. It's really pretty good, I didn't have time to shoot at different ranges with this 87 Vmax load, so I put my info in JBM and it gave me a first round hit at 670 yards on that steel (it was a little low though).

SS, it's a Leupold Fine Duplex. I've been wondering how many MOA it is from the fine to the heavy part of the cross hair, but always forget when I go to the range /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Don't know how to range with a reticle yet, might be good to know.

OK, I did that a lot just a year or two ago. I actually killed my farthest animal doing that, rockchuck at 572. Mostly you just got to throw enough lead at them, that one took me 30 shots or so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

or you may use tactical scope , zero in at 100 ans then your scope should be matched to your caliber for your hold off marks in the scope redicial , . but yes as said above good advice , there are many ways to shoot long distance , scopes , calibers, you must know your ballistic of your cal. before you can do any thing elts, , everyone has there own way , try as many you can , nice shot 430 is a good distance ,,

!!!!!!!!

Was out before school this morning, all the rabbits were out at 700+, lobbed about 14 rounds down range before I gave up, go close quite a few times though.

ACLakey, for sure. Just drop me a PM when your coming threw.

Back