.223 and Ramshot TAC?

ACLakey

I have been looking at the burn rates of Ramshot TAC and H335 and they seem to be very similar. I also found the consensus is the TAC burns much cleaner than the H335 which is a plus. Anybody have experience with the Ramshot TAC? Is is as temperature sensitive as the H335?

Played around with some Big Game. That seems to shoot well in the summer league and in the winter chasing coyotes. Sights in the same outta my -250 summer or winter. Not a lot of info for you, but its all I got.

Yes, I like TAC. It started off with very good reviews from a few that do a lot more reloading than me. Last summer I had a few issues with an AR in SD after a fair amount of rounds fired with older H335 loads. There may of been some lubrication factors also so I'm not saying it's all powder. Either way the action was dirty. I did have newer TAC loads with me. I use TAC in the 223 & 204, usually 50-55 grn bullets in the 223.

My chronograph showed in the 3240fps range with the 52grn out of a 24" bolt gun. I think the load was 25 grns TAC.

When looking down the bore after some 204 rounds I could hardly see any residue at all.

I ordered 4lbs from Midway recently since the locals usually don't have it in stock.

Just some of my anecdotal evidence/experience coming over to TAC. Yes H335 has been a main 223 powder for a long time but nothing wrong with trying new stuff.

I love TAC but Xterm works very well too and is gives a little better velocities. Im goona try it with some 65 gamekings this week.

I think if you try TAC you will like it.....
it is a lot like h335 only a lot cleaner burining....

you should be able to work up to 26.XXX (26. something) with TAC and 50 gr bullets..... start in the high 25.xx gr powder TAC and work up with 50 gr bullets you may be able to reach 27.0 or you may not....

gives great accuracy.... and velocity.......

you can also use TAC in 223 loads up to 77 gr bullets.... and it will really shine....

Xterminator is a little better with 40 gr bullets.... both are good with 50-55 gr bullets.... TAC has an edge and works a little better with 60 gr and heavier bullets.....

R

Quote:
I think if you try TAC you will like it.....
it is a lot like h335 only a lot cleaner burining....

That is what I have been hearing and I like the sounds of it. Is the TAC temperature sensitive?

I was just getting ready to reload .223's for my AR with H 335, now if it is that Temperature sensitive, you have me wondering wether or not to use it now !

I work up a lot of loads in the fall and spring where the temperatures are usually in the 40-50F range. I have noticed that when a load of H335 near the top of the range shoots well in these conditions it can show pressure signs in a 100F squirrel field in the heat of summer. Most of my H335 loads are in the middle of the posted load range for this reason. Varget is supposed to be temperature insensitive, but in my rifle does not shoot the lighter bullets well. It does however shoot the 60gr V-max like a champ.

Maybe I will have to use Varget since I already have some, but for the .223 and 60 grain V-Max, do you have to load a compressed load ? My AR is a 16" RRA.

I've never had much luck with TAC. I use H335 with 40 grain V-Max's with good results. The only problem is that every once in a while I'll get a huge muzzle flash which is a little annoying. I agree with you that H335 is very temp. sensative. Lately I've been using N133 and H4895 with 50's and I'm happy with both.

If you load the 60gr V-max with Varget to a COAL of 2.26 you may get into a compressed load over 25gr. I found 25-26gr of Varget shoot very well out of my rifle.

HPIM1057.jpg

I haven't tried TAC, but the X-Terminator I used in my old Browning 223 shot really well. Use a magnum primer.

Aaron

This is what I got back from Ramshot:

We suggest our TAC powder.

Bullet weight: 60grains

START load: 22.0grains (2775-2875Fps)

Maximum load: 24.5grains (3100-3200Fps)

Regards

Johan Loubser

Ballistician

Ramshot/Accurate Powders

Quote:
I love TAC but Xterm works very well too and is gives a little better velocities. Im goona try it with some 65 gamekings this week.

24.5gr of TAC and the 65gr GK's are awesome outta my two AR's.

Back