Hornady 55gr SPSX

ACLakey

Do not work in a 1:9 twist 26" barrel!!! I had about 1 out of 5 reach the target, the others just came apart out of the barrel. I had about 30 of these given to me and I will not be buying more. Crazy stuff.

They are very thin jacketed bullets. When pushed max out of my 1/10 .223 they would almost be like tracers as they spun apart going downrange and you could watch the grey streaks from the rifle to the target area. Slowed em down a couple hundred fps and they work great now- very accurate also.

When used as they are designed they are a very good bullet.

Too light of a jacket for the faster twist barrels and higher velocities.

Clayman

If you want some 55 gr SP that WILL work in a 1:9 twist up to speeds of 3600 fps, buy the Mid South varmint nightmares - $139/2000.

I shoot the 55sx's exclusively in my 12FV/223 with very good results. Also in a 1-9 AR. 50 grainers in 2 triple deuces. Keep them within their limits and they are a very good bullet.

shooter

I use this bullet in my 220 Swift loaded with 35 grains IMR 3031 powder. This load will just explode a crow! Nothing but talons, feathers and a beak after getting hit with one of these. Very mild pressure and a pleasant report to go along with it. And best of all, it shoots one on top of the other at 100 yards. This load was suggested to me by a man that was around 80 years old at the time, and this was over 15 years ago. He had been using this load for many years in his Swift and was still using the factory barrel. I keep them on the shelf all the time along with a pound or two of 3031. They work great together.

My 22-250 like the 50gr SPSXs pushed by 3031 too

I could never find any twist or speed limits placed on the use of this slug by Hornady. The topic only seems to be covered by word of mouth.

Last edited:
The primary obstacle with the SXs is the velocity...Without checking my boxes, I think the max velocity is supposed to be 3300 fps or under..

Since I only shoot them in my 1/14 twist barrel, I've never worried about twisting them apart as long as I stay in the speed limit...

Not on the box of SPSXs that I bought this week, nor my Hornady 7th Ed Reloading book. In fact they say it's good for 2000 to 3400 fps. I'm not saying it couldn't be written somewhere, just that I haven't seen it.

Quote:
Not on the box of SPSXs that I bought this week, nor my Hornady 7th Ed Reloading book. In fact they say it's good for 2000 to 3400 fps. I'm not saying it couldn't be written somewhere, just that I haven't seen it.

If you contact Hornady, they will tell you that in a 14" twist, 3500 is about the top speed that they will endure.

My experence has been right there - at 3550, they start leaving comet tails at the bullet holes in paper targets and at ~3600, they leave smoke trails to the target, often hitting sideways.

If you keep them within the 3500 fps limits with a 14" twist, they are an outstanding bullet - very accurate and probably the most fragile bullet available.

Faster twists, mean slower velocities.

I'm running them out of a 1-14 factory barrel, 22-250, at just over 3500 fps, and you can see a white streak on every shot. But they hit like a ton of bricks, and have always been an accurate bullet. Properly placed on prairie dogs, you get some awesome gymnastics and hang time! My boxes of bullets, aged a bit, have a slip of paper right in there, saying not to run them out of fast twist barrels, or over 3500 fps. And I have seen them come apart, when fired through rough barrels, or too fast a twist. Just a gray puff, about 65 yds. downrange, where bullet temperature enters the equation.

In the bullet types & descriptions in the Hornaday #7 they say not over 3400fps. I would imagine the twist rate would also be a factor. I have 4 boxes & plan to load some up soon.

In Hornaday's Third Edition on page 71 which is the start of the 223 load data, in the last paragraph they say, "When using a 223 with 1:10" twist barrels (such as Ruger Mini 14's) do not use SX bullets. The rapid twist can cause these fragile bullets to come apart in flight at maximum velocities."

Doc

Quote:
In Hornaday's Third Edition on page 71 which is the start of the 223 load data, in the last paragraph they say, "When using a 223 with 1:10" twist barrels (such as Ruger Mini 14's) do not use SX bullets. The rapid twist can cause these fragile bullets to come apart in flight at maximum velocities."

Doc

Nice to know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I could not find anything in my book, but will look when I get home.

Back