Made up my mind!! 280 A.I. Need some input

MUDSLINGER

Finally made up my mind. Going forward with my 280 A.I. build. So far i'm going with a remmy 700 action and i am leaning heavily toward a hart barrel with spiral fluting. Give me some of your opinions on stocks, other barrels, triggers, loads, etc. You guys seem to know what your talking about on this site, so i trust you will take me in the right direction. Thanx fellas!! And ladies if ur out there!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I've been thinking about a .280ai for a while now, but haven't made up my mind yet.

Stock would be a Mcmillan classic ADL. Would have to be some sort of swirly pattern.

William trigger guard

#2 or #3 contour

I'd run a tuned old style rem trigger.

I'd be running some 120g triple shocks.

I ran a 25" Lilja #3 (1/9 twist) stainless barrel on mine. Using the excellent Nosler brass I got 3400 out of the 120 NBT and 3200 out of the 140 NBT, both using RE-22. Mine was built on a stainless Rem. 700 action and bedded in an HS Prec. sporter stock. Both the 120 and the 140 shot very well, 5-shot groups averaged around 3/4" with some 3-shot groups in the .2's. The .280AI is a wonderful round, but if I had it to do again I'd build a 7mm Rem. Mag.

Sir, I have had a 280 AI for years until I rebarreled. Great rifle and cartridge. I built mine off a 700 Rem, and used a Winchester Western McMillian Stock fit for a 700. I had a rail and adj butpad for long range prone target options at Camp Perry. I scoped with a Luepold 6.5x20 w target Turrents. The barrel was a Sheilen, but I have used Kreiger, Obermeyer, and the best kept secret a 4 groove Lilja. I would go with a 26 or 27 inch tube to get the velocity out of it, stay with 140s. I shot the rifle at 1000 yards numerous times, always did well. But suggest start less than max juice and work up. I would flatten 1 out of 10 primers that would enlarge the primer hole render a useless peice of brass. If I did that at 200 yards it would float that bullet roughly 3 inches high. In the beginning I entered a deer hunter rifle bench rest shoot. My practice target was benchrest quality- moved to the score target and blew the first primer. I had to chase that flyer with the next two shots- took 3rd place out of about 75 guns, the hard way. Took a couple nice deer- one neck shot at 350 yards, south TX. I decided on the 280 AI after hunting CO and taking a big Muley at 465 yards- I had to hit him 4 times with the standard 280 (7mm Rem Express). He did not stand still for it. There have been some great Shooting Times articals written on the 280 AI.
Enjoy. GySgt of Marines Ret. JHG

280AI Is an awesome round as I am sure you agree because you have decided to choose this round. Personally I love the round, I just recently had a barrel built by MGM and stuck it on an Encore. I had them chamber according to my specs and a few dummy rounds I am using the the 1-8" twist for the heavies although I knew that I would not reach the "magic" fps I had in mind with the 175 SMK's or the Berger's but (I did it anyway), I think I can get that "magic" fps number with the Berger 168 VLD's. I too am using R-22 for powder and Fed. Match primers. I have a new Rem. LA that I have been thinking about building another one. If I were to build this on the Rem. action I would use a Lilja barrel or a Broughton, Badger bottom metal, Badger base and rings and probably a Manners stock.

Good luck Mudslinger you will love the round!!

Kapac

Hey fellas thanx for info, keep it coming. Another question, this rifle(whenever it gets around to getting finished)is going to be used mainly for deer sized game. What would be the best twist rate for the 160 gr. bullets?

I have been shooting the 280AI know for about 5 years. You will love it.

After several years of downing a few coyotes in the 400-500 yard range with a custom .243 I was wanting a deer rifle that would give me that kind of range. I did a lot of reading, research, and talking to some of the best in the industry. Several of Steve Timms' articles (Varmint Hunters Magizine) and then finally Kenny Jarrett sold me on the 280AI. Although I really wanted a Jarrett rifle, I just could not afford his quality. I talked with Hart, Lilja, Kreiger, McGowen, Carolina Precision, and Pac-Nor about fitting and rebarreling a Remington 700 action. I ended up with Pac-Nor and have not been disappointed. I pillar bedded, free floated, and glassed the wood stock myself. It shoots great and would be any deer hunters dream.

Mine is and I would recommend a 1:10 twist for this caliber with a good 140 grain bullet for deer sized game. I say good bullet because I had problems with the 140 Nolser BT coming apart on shots inside 150 yards (about 3,200 FPS). The Sierra 140 SBT, and the Barnes 140 TS both shoot 1/2 MOA or better and stay together. The Barnes is the best. The 1:10 twist will also work well with 160 grain bullets but I think that is a little much for deer unless you are fortunate enough to tangle with some of the 250 lb plus monsters. Even then the 140 Barnes TS is easily up to that task. I did get to go on one Elk hunt and used the 160 grain TS. Went through both shoulders at about 125 yards. He only went a couple of feet... straight down.

Some will try to talk you into a faster twist but you just don't need it unless you are planning on shooting over 160 grain bullets. I think most of the factory "experts" I mentioned earlier would tell you that If you are going to shoot over 160 grain pills you should be shooting a 30 caliber.

Have a good smith tune your factory trigger or get a Timney. Depending on your barrel contour the HS Precision is about as good as any if you are not going to bed the factory stock.

After you get your AI send me a PM and I will send you my loading info. WELCOME to the Ackley crowd.

GOOD LUCK !!

Quote:
Hey fellas thanx for info, keep it coming. Another question, this rifle(whenever it gets around to getting finished)is going to be used mainly for deer sized game. What would be the best twist rate for the 160 gr. bullets?

For the 160's go with the 1-8" make sure you seat the bullet the way you want it to be for the free bore, keeping in mind that you will want the flexability of using lighter bullets. Although I agree with BuckHall in the fact that if you are going to shoot one weight bullet all the time then by all means get that twist rate to accomedate. But with my 1-8" I can shoot the 175's and the 140's and anything in between!! As far as the bullets I dont think you could find a better bullet than the Bergers, just look at there BC!!!

Good luck!!

Kapac

Quote:
I ran a 25" Lilja #3 (1/9 twist) stainless barrel on mine. Using the excellent Nosler brass I got 3400 out of the 120 NBT and 3200 out of the 140 NBT, both using RE-22. Mine was built on a stainless Rem. 700 action and bedded in an HS Prec. sporter stock. Both the 120 and the 140 shot very well, 5-shot groups averaged around 3/4" with some 3-shot groups in the .2's. The .280AI is a wonderful round, but if I had it to do again I'd build a 7mm Rem. Mag.

I am considering a .280 AI build myself and just wanted to know why you would go with a 7mm RM on a do-over.

On topic, the thing that really caught my eye with the .280 AI was the 140 gr. Accubond. .485 BC at 3200 fps. Seems like it would be a deer smasher.

Last edited:
Quote:
Quote:

I am considering a .280 AI build myself and just wanted to know why you would go with a 7mm RM on a do-over.

On topic, the thing that really caught my eye with the .280 AI was the 140 gr. Accubond. .485 BC at 3200 fps. Seems like it would be a deer smasher.

I'd like to know that also!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Ring..Ring.. I to would like to know why the 7 Mag on a redo??

Speaking from experience the 280AI will come so close to doing anything the 7 Mag will do and with 6 to 8 grains less powder. The only manuals that I am aware of that publish 280AI data are Nosler, and Sierra, and IMO they are very conservative. Maybe it has something to do with the faster 1:9 twist they used in there testing.

Back