*** 2008 Whitetail falls to new 243 Ackley ***

Yotes2Call

Well, another one falls to the new rifle I got this fall. George did such a great job.. It is a shooter ! http://www.precisionshootingsports.com/

Unfortunately, my top spotter and range finder, Tyler had school this morning. He didn't get to come out for opening day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Good thing, because it was cold and a hour wait for daylight after I got set up where I wanted to be. Bad thing, because I love my hunting buddy and he has a ball coming along. Still have one more Antelope tag to fill and he can't wait.

I had been watching this buck all summer long and had him patterned well. My setup was along a fenceline bordering his feedground. I had been seeing him come out of a brushy draw about 550 yards from my vantage point. The moon was up and bright and clouds rolled by off and on to where I could see deer bedded in the field and some up feeding. About 15 minutes before shooting light, I found him bedded down about 197 yards out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Man I was happy he was here !! Now to just close the deal.

Sunrise from my stand...
2008_wt_sunrise.JPG

I got my rifle up and chambered a round as quietly as possible and gave it 10 more minutes for shooting light. I looked over to my left and he was gone. I lifted my Bruntons up and found him following a doe and closing in... closer and closer... 80 YARDS.. head on to me. LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Scope is on 15 power. I lower rifle and turn it down. Now the doe turns and heads to the right. He is following right after her.

She stops and takes a pee and I think, "here is my chance ! " I settle in and take the shot. 117 yards and he falls DRT when the 115 DTAC moly hits him. I get up and go check him out... It is bittersweet to see him lying there after watching him all summer... And not having my hunting buddy and son Tyler not there... Dang school ! Dang tests... !

Big dude down... weighed 168 lbs dressed out.
2008_Whitetail_243_AI.JPG

And my ugly mug as well... was sitting by fence in background.
2008_scott_wtail.JPG

Thats a really nice buck. Sounds like your boy is going to be one heck of a hunter! I am 22 now and the thought of kids is far out of my mind...but i sure do like taking out kids that haven't hunted before...or or trying to get their first deer. Its awesome! Congrats on your whitetail and antelope.

WOW! Great buck, excellent replay and nice pictures too. Doesn't get any better than that......well, unless Tyler could have been there.

Thanks guys... I am hoping that hanging with Dad is cool for a long time yet... I can hope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Congrats on a dang nice whitetail Scott. Did you ever get around to building a .243 AI in the AR, or still kicking around that idea??

Quote:
I can't decide if I need an AR platform

Here let me help,.......you DO need one!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back