Nevada Predator hunters

swift one

I am looking to head out towards Nevada sometime in the next couple of years to do some western predator hunting. read an article about it and no liscense is needed for out of staters. I see that there is a lot of public access in Nevada. I was wondering what some of the better places would be to hunt coyotes on public land? I would be driving out there, and camping intead of staying in a hotel. Any ideas on some good places next to any camp grounds??

You do need a license if you plan on keeping any of the fur, I've talked to Game Wardens over there that have told me you can shoot all you want, just don't have them in your possesion without the right license!

Nevada is 80 or 90% public land, you won't have a problem finding a place to hunt. As far as a license goes and predators, you can take coyotes and badgers without a license.
To my understanding you can not take coyotes OUT of Nevada for profit, but you can keep some for personal use. Best to check with the game wardens or somebody that really knows the rules, that's nobody lol, stupid law.
Something that may help you out a little. Use e-callers if you wish but you'll probably get more action with hand calls using different sounds. It never use to be that way until predator calling got so popular.
It's getting cold this time of the year, so bring warm clothes. The word Nevada means "snow capped", hint hint lol.............Good luck

Last edited:
pretty much the whole state is a campground. pitch a tent and dig a hole and hang ur home sweet home sign. unless posted you can shoot pretty much anywhere, and if it is posted just go to the house and ask. i have never ever had some one tell me "no, i like coyotes killin my animals." just be carefull of the cows. if ur comin in the summer months, callin is pretty tuff. if in the winter bring some warm cloths and prolly somthin mor than a tent. i live bout a hundred miles west of the utah border on I80. if you hit I80 you will find tons of side roads and pull outs all the way to california, just be sure ur 500ft from the road or any structures if ur shootin air rifles or shotguns, and 1000ft off if long rifles. north of reno, i hear, there is a TON of dogs, never been, im still swamped with them here in Elko/Spring Creek. i am not really familiar with the southern part of the state but i know there are dogs all over the place. Lemme know if you need to know anything else.

You can camp pretty much anywhere along the Humbolt river and have some good hunting..(I hunt along the river whenever I'm desperate) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It runs from the Ruby mtns (near Elko) along or near I80 for hundreds of miles.. Also, look up the Stillwater Mtn range.... I used to go out there and camp and hunt for weeks at a time and never see another person..lots of wild horses though....

One more thing,,, Most all of Northern NV is well above 3500ft elevation and thats the in the valleys... If your not used to it can take some getting used to for people used to sea level air..

Most of northern Nevada is 5000' plus. 3500' and you're on the way to death valley lol.

Trivia time...The most mountianous state in the United States is Nevada.

The mighty Humbolt river( mudd hole in the summer ) runs through most of northern Nevada like stated by yotekyllr including Battle Mt, Golconda, Winnemucca and a few more points west, great places to hang out.

Watch out for those bars in the middle of no mans land that have funny names, like Bobbys Buckeye or Janies Ranch or the Cherry Patch lol.

yotekyllr is right, anywhere north of 80 should get you a few coyotes. look for badgers, that part of Nevada has alot of them.

The Stillwater range is not far from where I live, already had a snow storm, be careful.

Thanks for the replies guys. So, pretty much in these desolate areas, are there a lot of back roads to take? can you just pull off the road and set up camp? not many folks are going to mess with you?

Also, the regs on the nevada site for night hunting is kind of confusing to me concerning night hunting. It looks from what I have read, that you can in some areas and can't in others. Is this correct?

As far as night hunting goes, anywhere south of hwy US 50 you'll be ok. To be honest I don't think you'll be bothered lighting most anywhere on back roads, but I'm not telling you to break the law. Nevada is a BIG place with lots of open country.

In White Pine county (hwy 50 runs though the middle) you have to get special permission from the sheriff to Shoot after dark for the purpose of preditor hunting. When I lived there several years ago it was easy you asked the sheriff and he gave you a letter that stated it was ok.
It depends on the county some it ok to hunt after dark others you cant shoot after dark. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

JAH

You guys have been great with the replies. From what I am finding out, I will have more than enough empty land to keep me busy in the daylight hours for as long as Im down there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

What is you guys opinion on hunting the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest? I am looking at the Ruby mountain area.

Thats correct.. Pershing Co allows spotlighting all year except during the hunting season months, but you can hunt predators with a light if your at least 300ft away from your vehicle. Some Co's do not allow discharge of firearms after dark for any reason other than self defense... All the info is on the NV dnr site with a table of Co's and laws... As someone mentioned before, NV is big, sparsley populated, and remote, at night you can see a light in the desert 10miles away.

Last edited:
yotekyllr, you can see a white light futher away then 10 miles on a flat desert especially the way some people use them.

That's another good reason to use red lights. If you use a red light the right way you'd be much harder to see at night.

The laws have sure changed in Nevada in recent years, never heard of the 300' law? Sounds to me like people that moved here from other states are making up some laws in Nevada.

I started hunting coyotes in Nevada maybe 35 years ago, been so long I forgot. It was always wide open and nobody ever said a thing if you were hunting coyotes Day or night anywhere you wanted.........Some people that make up laws suck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
The laws have sure changed in Nevada in recent years, never heard of the 300' law? Sounds to me like people that moved here from other states are making up some laws in Nevada.

Yep, I was surprised by that one and others that I had no knowledge of and I grew up here and been hunting Pershing Co for near 20 yrs... its those pesky Califonians..LOL

Here you go with a link to other Co. regs...

Quote:
Pershing County - 9.16.020 Unlawful Use of Spotlight:

It is unlawful for any person to cast a spotlight from or within three hundred feet (300') of any motor vehicle in the unincorporated areas of the County while having a firearm in possession or immediate physical presence, between the dates of September 1 and February 28, inclusive, of each year.

http://www.ndow.org/hunt/seasons/fur/coyote.shtm

Last edited:
last time i shot out the window of my truck is the last time i will ever do it. it was with my R-15 after a frustrating day of calling there was a big jack in the bushes bout 15 feet from the truck. i quickly stopped, jacked a shell and boom and THWACK!! i forgot the shell ejected bounced off the windshield and smacked mee in the side of the head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gifow.....

got the rabbit though..

lol.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
So before Sept 1st you can shoot coyotes any way you want? Like right out the window lol.

I don't think anybody cares honestly... But, I was surprised by some of the different regs non-the-less..

When I was a kid, the only times we would be bothered by LE while spottlighting was to check us for alchohol and then let us go about what we were doing.. You know how kids, guns, beer, and vehicles don't go together that well!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Billy just wondering how long you have known yuccabush littlebear and all the guys from NMPCA. I just moved back to Nevada from NM you live near Hawthorn where my brother is the local k9 unit. we have e-mailed a cupple of times and I have heard the guys talking about you Just wondering if we could ever meet.

Augman, come on over, I'm in Walker lake on the west side of 95. Got a silver 4 door jeep with a lic plate coyote1, I'm easy to find.
I've known Yaccabush and his brothers maybe 5 years, time flys when you're having fun, all great guys. We had been known to have a few beers together.

You can never shot out of your vehicle in NV. They will nail you if you get caught. You can not have a loaded long gun in your vehicle (loaded is a round in the chamber).
That leaves handguns, but they can not be discharged from your vehicle.

Back