.257 Roberts deer loads?

PeteG

Guys,

Just picked up a set of dies for my .257 Bob, and was looking for advise on some bullet/powder combos that you have had success with. I've been shooting 117gr. Remmy green box ammo for years, but would like to get a little more performance and to possibly use it for a yote rifle. The gun is a 70's Ruger bolt. Great gun, but I'm ready to finally find out what she can do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete

I have been using Sierra 87 and 117 grain bullets with IMR 4350 powder at or slightly over listed max loads with good results. You will want to start 5 to 10% under max and work up to your rifles max.

As far as reload's go, i've had good result's using Varget for powder combined with 87 & 100 grain Sierra bullet's,also the 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips & Varget shoot well.

I can't help but chime in on this one. What you might consider is doing the P.O. Ackley Improve on the Bob before you settle in on the standard round. It is one of the most beneficial of the Ackley Improvements in the various calibers.

I Improved mine shortly after getting the gun. Significant gain over the standard Bob. I also have to say that the straighter walled case and the sharper shoulder angles make for a pretty neat looking round.

If you want my P.O. Ackley recipes, let me know.

I went to the Nosler factory a few years ago on a tour. While there I picked up 100 gr and 120 gr partitions (which were labled as seconds) as well as 117 Ballistic Tips. I have been shooting those ever since. I have not gotten a game animal with my .257, but then against, I have had it deer hunting only once, and for only a day at that.

I've been using 46gr. H4350 with the 100 gr.Hornady Flat base bullet, listed in writer John Barsnes article "Loads that work". My son uses the same load with the 100 TSX. Both have done the job on whitetails with complete penetration. For coyotes I've had great accuracy in 3 barrels with the 75hp Sierra over H4895.

I have a No. 1 that is downright scary accurate with Nosler 100gr. BTs on top of 40 gr of IMR 4350. I love the nostalgia of Bobs, one of the most pleasant cartriges I shoot.

I too have a older model ruger in 257 roberts. I have been handloading for it for about 10 years. Lots of folks seem to have good results with varget and imr 4350 with the heavier bullets. This particular rifle seems to like slightly faster burning powders. The best accuracy seems to be Either with nosler 115 gr ballistic tips or the hornady 117 gr. sst. I have found that 35.5 grs. IMR 4064 under either of these bullts shoots about 3/4 inch groups at 100 yds. Check your load data but it shows no pressure signs in this rifle amd has very little recoil.My 10 year old will be shooting this combo for deer this season.We have shot 8 deer with the ballistic tips and have 0-30 yard recovery on all including a 200+ pound buck in Alabama. All these have been shot inside 200 yds. Lastly to achieve the best accuracy I seats the bullets about .010 of the rifling.

Back