Running shot coyote lead distance

I was thinking about ways to practice running shots. My idea was release a few of balloons at a time in a 15 to 20 mph wind to give a moving target. Have a partner release the balloons upwind of a safe background with the shooter shooting crosswind.

We run coyotes with dogs here in Illinois and i have shot several coyotes while on the run. I have hit several by just putting the cross hairs on his nose or neck. There is way many factors to consider to get scientific about it. No0 one has mentioned the wind. Here in December and jan, the wind can be pretty strong. I just use a swing through method much like the methods i teach to my sporting clay students. It works most of the time. Gun speed is also a factor. No you cant curve a bullet but gun speed does matter!! And of course i have missed just as many as i have hit. A coyote on the run is a hard target at any distance. I have never had enogh time to stop and think to my self how much lead do i need. Way to much adrenalin flowing for that. This method works for me so i dont pan on changing it a bit. If you find a method that works for you, then your half way there! Good luck this season our numbers seem to be up this year from what i have seen the last couple of mornings. Lee

Back