Running shot coyote lead distance

yoteblaster

Trying to figure lead for the following.

Bullet speed: Shooting Sierra SBT 223 AT 3300 FPS

Distance from coyote: 100 yards
and 200 yards if you have an idea.

Running: side ways

I just can't seem to get the lead distance down on running dogs give me your best lead estimate for the dog.

This is what I have been told, for the distances you describe. But I haven't had to try it yet.

I was told to start the swing of the rifle from the tail towards the nose, as soon as the crosshairs of you reticle clear the nose......squeeze! They made it sound so simple but I don't know. They swore by it though.

Chupa

I dont know about coyotes but I'll only take runnin shots on jackrabbits so I guess thats close enough.
And Chupa basically nailed it with his comment I think.I dont ever really think about it when its happening but when my crosshairs clear thier head I let it rip.If I miss the bullet either hits their ears or barely misses their head.Once the dust flys up you can see what you did wrong and make the second shot count hopefully.Other times I'll aim at their shoulder and shoot and maybe hit them and that will stop them long enough to put a good shot on them.If their running straight away from you aim right between their ears or at the back of their head.
You have to aim in different places when the critter is at different distances though.If a yote is at 200 yards and haulin tail your gonna have to lead it a little further than you would if it was at 50 yards.I probably didnt help ya much but the best way to get the hang of it is to get out and jumpshoot rabbits and you'll kind of get the idea.

Blaster,

I shot one today pretty much as you describe, At 125 yds quartering away I aimed at the nose and hit him right behind the ear. On a 200 yd crossing shot, I would want a little daylite, Maybe a head.

Dave

those are tuff shots, I think I am like most people its very hard to not get the gun in the right spot and then yank the trigger, the problem is you quit moving the gun that instant you go to yank the trigger, its a very tuff thing to unlearn, a ton of skeet shooting would help a bunch. the only way I have somewhat been successful in those crossing shots is to tell myself to keep swinging the gun after the shot

The best estimates that I have seen for coyote top speed is right at 40mph. I would guess that when one is heading for the next county (but hasn't really kicked in the afterburners) it is doing about 25 to 30. Using the round figure of 30mph, that equates to 44 feet per second.

For ease in calculations, if we assume a muzzle velocity of 3000fps, a bullet is going to take about one-tenth of a second to cover a 100 yards. If the dog is running sideways to you, he will cover about 4.4' in the time it takes the bullet to get to his position. At 3300 fps projectile velocity, he would still cover about 4'. That would be the approximate lead you would need to make. If the yote is quartering away at 100 yards, the simple calculation would be to cut the lead in half to about 2.2' (or 2' with at 3300fps). Going straight away, just hold dead on. If the yardage is increased to 200 yards, the amount of lead required would approximately double from the 100 yard figures.

Even if a coyote is just trotting along at 10mph, at 100 yards he is still moving along at over 12' per second and your point of aim must take that into account.

Bottom line is that you have to lead a moving coyote, no matter how hypervelocity your rifle may be, and in the split seconds that you have to take the shot(s), you just have to ballpark it and pull the trigger. That's why the AR has my vote for yote hunting - I'm not talking "spray and pray", but rapid, aimed follow-up shots. I think we all know the rush of nailing one that is high-tailing it for cover. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Have a Great Day!!!

I forgot to add something.Get to know your rifle really well.That has alot to do with it.If you dont know what your rifle can do you aint gonna shoot very well.Get comfortable enough with your rifle so that those runnin shots on critters are almost second nature to ya.Also try not to get in to big a hurry over it.Its hard not to get excited and everything but take you time.When Im shootin at a runnin critter I try to act as if I have all the time in the world to squeeze the trigger.When you do that and you do sqeeze the trigger you will be able to tell just as soon as you let one go if its a good shot or not.I cant really explain it but everything just feels right and you know that your gonna hear that WHACK! sound.I dont know how to explain it but basically you just gotta practice.I prefer to practice on critters like prairie dogs and jack rabbits so that when the time comes to put a coyote on the ground it wont be so nerve racking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Most of the members covered it by bits and pieces..
Alot depends on the speed of the bullet but like others said follow through with the rifle and try to get the cross hair at least a foot in front of nose and squeeze as you go by continueing to swing. If you miss on first shot just shorten the lead a little but try to stay in front of nose or you will get alot of gut shots or rear end hits..
I'm not an expert or a crack shot but i do shoot and kill around 30 running coyotes a year with my 17 pred or 17 rem.
For straight away aim between the ears and at least 6" past the nose to start with.. good luck...

Do exactly what whacker said. Follow through is key,I've done alot of trapshooting over the years and the one main thing is to keep that barrel moving swing past after the shoot!!! Good luck!!!

Quote:
...I just can't seem to get the lead distance down on running dogs

You're shooting behind them, trust me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

200 yards with target running broadside at 30 mph (easily within a coyote's "panic speed"):

Target speed = (30 X 5280)/ (3600) = 44 feet/sec.
Time of bullet flight at 3300 ft/sec and BC=.225 = .21 sec.
(you can get that from any ballistics table)

44 X .21 = 9.24 feet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

100 yards, same scenario, 44 X .098 = 4.31 feet.

About a body length, nose to tail tip, ahead of where you want the hit at 100.

At 400 yards you're in the 22 foot lead neighborhood, plus factoring in 2 feet of bullet drop (with a 200 yard zero).

That's why when somebody says "It was a lucky shot", he's probably right (or an awesome rifleman).

Try running jackrabbits with a .22LR, that's incredibly good practice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I also like to swing through, just like shooting a clay target with a shot gun. At least for the first shot. If I miss with the first, I rarely, if ever start over with another swing through. I normally just start to sustained lead at different distances until I connect. That said, I think a mildot scope would be handy on runners, at least it would give you a reference as to how much you are ahead of the target. I just clamped one on the Rock River, looking forward to trying it out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

It's been my experience that if you hold on the hair on a running coyote at 100 yards, you will hit them in the hip and more than likely shoot behind them. I would hold out in front of the yote about a foot or a little more. I would hold on the hair if they are at the trot.

At 200 on a coyote running full out, you had better leade him a body length+tail at least.

I saw my hunting partner shoot one at a dead run at 250 yards once that was a direct Crossing shot. He said that he lead the coyote two fence posts (20 feet).

Stop your swing and you will miss outright every time.

Looks like the standard is going to be about 3.5 to 4 feet at a hundred yards. I was holding about six inches infront so I may have been right behind them, of course it is tough because I generally wait until they are standing still at less than 200 yards to take the shot so I don't get alot of practice on the running shots. Keep the info coming if anyone else has a better method.

Evil lurker the info you provided is correct except for one detail. The formula does not take into account barrel swing (follow through). The lead is calculated with the end of barrel in a stationary position and then the bullet being released... 40 mph coyote would require about a 14-15 ft. lead. With follow through it would be much less of a lead such as 6"-1 1/2 ft. depending on speed of bullet.
I hunt coyotes with a 17 pred. with a 30 gr. bullet moveing along at 3950-4000 fps and i also use a 22-250 ackley with a 52 gr. moveing along at 4000 fps. More bullet speed less lead required, this is why i don't use a 223, bullets are to slow and drop to fast..

Back