Bullet Choice and Ballistics for .223 AR

Hutch218

I just bought an AR and I haven't shot it much, and I'm trying to get an idea of what kind of bullets to use. I will obviously be using the gun for coyote and varmint hunting, and it has an 18" barrel and 1:9 twist. I figured that I probably shouldn't go any heavier than 60 grains or so. I figured that I would try Nosler, Hornady, and Sierra bullets and no lighter than 55 grains. Any recommendations on what bullet weight to use? Also, could anyone give me some ballistics charts or graphs? I'm still not sure whether I will zero the rifle at 100 yards or 200 yards. Would the ballistics change considerably from bullet to bullet? Or can I expect that all bullets of the same weight will have very similar ballistics?

Thanks,
Matt

I have a 1/9 twist barrel that absolutely loves the cheap 50gr HP Federals and will shoot upwards of the 65gr as well.

IMHO, the 1/9 barrel is the most versatile one in use for standard grade ammo..

Not all bullets will react the same, even though they are the same weight...

Since it sounds like you're set up for reloading, grab a few of the factory offerings, find out what shoots the best and then get that bullet configuration and attempt to duplicate the length and velocity with a few different powders.

It may initially take some trial and error time, but you can find a load that your particular rifle really likes..

Quote:
I have a 1/9 twist barrel that absolutely loves the cheap 50gr HP Federals and will shoot upwards of the 65gr as well.

IMHO, the 1/9 barrel is the most versatile one in use for standard grade ammo..

Not all bullets will react the same, even though they are the same weight...

Since it sounds like you're set up for reloading, grab a few of the factory offerings, find out what shoots the best and then get that bullet configuration and attempt to duplicate the length and velocity with a few different powders.

It may initially take some trial and error time, but you can find a load that your particular rifle really likes..

Actually I don't reload, but theres a guy who sells his own ammo that he reloads at the local shooting range, so I usually buy that. Last I know of he had maybe 4 or 5 different .223 loads. I also buy Black Hills ammo sometimes, it seems to be pretty good stuff. I know the rifle will shoot decently with just about anything, the previous owner told me that it shot well with everything he tried (he's a friend of mine he isn't lying). I'm just trying to find the ideal hunting load so I can sight it in with that particular load. I figured each load would still be a bit different even if they all group well, so I want to find one load that shoots well and just use that all the time. How far off are those 50 grain loads compared to the 65 grain in your rifle?

Last edited:
Black Hills sells remanufactured rounds loaded with Nosler 60 gr. Partitions. You might try a box and see if you're rifle will group them decently.
That bullet is very reliable across a wide velocity range.

As for sighting in, you'll have to pick a bullet and sight in for it. You'll find some other bullets will shoot groups lower, higher, and to both sides, in my experience. You might even find a couple that print right on top of each other. You'll need to experiment with what your barrel shoots best.
I sight my rifle in about 1 1/2" high at 100, but some people do it differently. I'm pretty bad at guessing range, so I like to hold on fur as far out as possible. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quote:
Black Hills sells remanufactured rounds loaded with Nosler 60 gr. Partitions. You might try a box and see if you're rifle will group them decently.
That bullet is very reliable across a wide velocity range.

As for sighting in, you'll have to pick a bullet and sight in for it. You'll find some other bullets will shoot groups lower, higher, and to both sides, in my experience. You might even find a couple that print right on top of each other. You'll need to experiment with what your barrel shoots best.
I sight my rifle in about 1 1/2" high at 100, but some people do it differently. I'm pretty bad at guessing range, so I like to hold on fur as far out as possible. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Similar to my experiences also.

My rifle is a 1:8, and it shoots 60gr VMaxs pretty well. However, the 60gr Nosler Partitions (not the ballistic tips) are the most accurate bullet that I have found for it.

I am 1" high at 100 yards.

Quote:
bout how far will the .223 shoot and kill something

Farther than you can shoot and hit something (coyote, etc).

Why do you guys sight in high at 100 yards? So you can hold on out to 200 yards? Please explain, because that's another thing I haven't really decided on. I figured I'd sight in at 100 or 200 yards, but maybe it would be advantageous to have the rifle zeroed at another range.

Thanks,
Matt

Quote:
Why do you guys sight in high at 100 yards? So you can hold on out to 200 yards?

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Not owning a rangefinder is the biggest reason. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
If I had a way to tell the range, I'd sight in dead-on at 100 and use the ballistics data for hold over.

Assuming 55g going 3200fps (which is a velocity I have a hard time reaching loading for 18" AR) 1" high at 100 yrds would be almost dead on ot 175 yrds and 4" low at 250 yds. A funny thing you might find messing with a ballistics calculator: If you zero the same load at 50 yrds you'll be dead on at 150 yds and 5.25" low at 250 yrds this will also ut you aprox 1/2" high at 100yds. I took some liberties with the parameters: .250 BC, 1.5" sight height, no wind...just to get some ballpark numbers.

Once you find a load your gun likes, find out the brand/make/weight of the bullet and shoot a few rounds over a chrono. With that info and the height of your scoe you'll be able to punch in the numbers to see what you can exect and distances you might encounter. Just be warned, you could be opening an addictive can of worms. The more you learn, the more you'll find there is more to learn.

peace,
unloaded

That 50 yard zero sounds like a pretty good idea, I may do that. I could also get the rifle a lot closer if I only have to shoot at 50 yards (I don't have a bench or bags or anything).

Oh ya, one more thing (ya I know). Where is the best place or what is the best way to get ballistics charts/graphs for different loads?

Quote:
Where is the best place or what is the best way to get ballistics charts/graphs for different loads?

Buy a reloading manual from one of the bullet manufacturers (Speer, Nosler, Sierra, etc.) and use the chart for the velocity and BC of your bullet.

My 16in dpms loves the hornady 53gr match hps.Zero at 1in. high at a hundred.Longest kill on a coyote 425 yards.Dont expect to match their published speed.The charts are for longer barrels.Most manuals will list barrel length used.The Sierra book has a section on ARs.They use a 20in colt with a 1x7 twist.What ever I load for I always figure 100fps slower per in.Like if they list a speed of 3300fps. my rife will shoot in the 29s.You need to find what speed your shooting to get the most out of the charts and graphs.

To theoretically determine bullet drop, you need at least these three figures to be accurate:

1. Bullet's published ballistic coefficient

2. ACTUAL velocity of that bullet as fired from YOUR gun (determined by a chronograph) You can't just guesstimate this or read it off a box. Longer barrels shoot faster than shorter ones, comparatively speaking...

3. Scope's height above the bore

Atmospheric data doesn't really factor in unless your AO changes or you experience wild swings weather...

Determine the first three values in your rig and then post them here. Then we can help you get the answers you are looking for...

OR, you can take your gun out and shoot it at each range and prove these drops in reality!

A 1n9 twist can handle 70-75gn bullets. As far as hunting bullets go, the 65 gn sierra is the heaviest one that I know of. I sight in for a 100 yards and hold dead on usually because the coyotes are usually within that range. I will hold over them when I feel the distance dictates so.
Good Luck

Matt, Once you determine what bullet/cartridge combination your rifle likes, as far as accuracy, plug the specific information into the JBM Ballistics Calculator:

JBM Ballistics Calculator

and then start working on your Maximum Point Blank Range...The closest to the farthest accuracy factors.

That will give you a basic idea about what your accuracy parameters will be for a specific game's 'kill zone'..Then it's up to you... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

The only thing I really want ballistics charts or graphs for is so I can figure out where to zero the rifle and how much to hold over at longer ranges. I probably won't be making shots past 300 yards or so, and a majority of my shots will be around 100 yards or less. So I don't really need to be exact. Is there anything simpler than that JBM Ballistics Calculator? I just don't really know enough to enter that information accurately (especially the zero hight and offset).

Back