Skinning poles...

DAA

Administrator
Staff member
I just decided that I'm finally going to make a hitch mounted skinning pole this year. Just barely decided to do it, have not thought too much about exactly how I want to make it yet. Could just weld the whole thing out of 2" square pipe for simplicity and strength. But am also thinking it might be nice if it were collapsible to make it easier to stow in the back of the truck. Might not really need to make the whole thing out of 2" square either, could probably make it strong enough using mostly lighter material.

Anyway... For anyone who has made one, has one, used one, seen one or whatever, I'd love to get some input. What you like, don't like, would do different, do the same etc. Pics would be real nice too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

So let's see and hear about your skinning poles!

- DAA

I have one that goes in the reciever that is made out of 2"x2" steel with holes in the bottom to drain water. Then the main pole is about 4 feet tall and made out of 1 1/2" steel with a kicker that comes off on a 45 degree angle. With a swivel on a hook at the top. Works good.

I'll take some photos of mine for you. It sticks out far enough to drop the tailgate and can do a goood job for deer.

Give me a couple days to snap some photos.

If you use a truck, it sure is nice to have the pole extend out of the receiver far enough to use the open tailgate as a workbench and than angle away from the truck.

Your right Dave, a thinner wall tubing is strong enough for skinning a coyote.

You could make the pole adjustable with a hole drilled in the tubing and weld a nut on for threads. Then make a "T" handle out of a bolt. This would also give you the option of making it in two pieces for breakdown by using seamless tubing. Having adjustment saves the back a bit when you get down around the face and its easier to get a good pull when a guy is standing upright, but not necessary either.

Glad I asked. I had not thought to make it stick out far enough for the tailgate to drop, but that is an excellent point.

Jay, I sure appreciate you taking some pics, that will be helpful.

Lonny, I like your welded nut and T-bolt idea better than using a hitch pin, which is what I was thinking. The bolt and nut would be a lot less wobbly, I would think.

Steve, I just may take you up on your offer! I did some stick welding years ago. My neighbor has a MIG that doesn't have a bottle so he just uses flux core, and I was thinking to borrow that. I'm sure I could get it done ugly on my first try with a MIG, and I just might anyway, for the fun of it. But then again, I may bug you!

- DAA

DAA,
Funny you brought this up.
I'm working on a rig right now to skin coyotes on the back of my truck, I hope to be done with it tonight.

The one I'm doing will plug into the receiver on my truck, I'm building it out of 1-1/2" 11ga. tubing, it's light enough that I can pick it up over my head with one hand.

I built a 16" square at the bottom & I put a winch at the top. I'm putting 2 clamps on the square at the bottom to hold the skin while the winch pulls the coyote up. I'm sure I won't be able to use the winch for the whole job but I'm hoping it will keep a constant pull while I do the rest of the work with my hands or a knife.

I'm sure I didn't explain myself very well, I'll try to post a few pictures tomorrow.

I have been thinking of building one myself. I mentioned it to the wife yesterday when she shot her coyote.

Jay--I would like to see some pics of the one you have also.

Years ago I built one that was real handy. Since sometimes we'd take a truck or car without a receiver hitch we'd have to find a tree or fence post to use as a skinning post. I welded up a small flat frame with a post that protruded out about 60deg or so. Then we park the car/truck tire on it to hold it and slide the skinning pole on the post. Worked pretty well.

DAA I will get some pictures posted of my set up. It swivels so it lays flat in my hitch, then it will set up right when needed, dont have my camera or I would take um and get them posted. It works great, alittle heavy but not bad. Give me the end of the day and I will get them posted.

Quote:
Glad I asked. I had not thought to make it stick out far enough for the tailgate to drop, but that is an excellent point.

Jay, I sure appreciate you taking some pics, that will be helpful.

Lonny, I like your welded nut and T-bolt idea better than using a hitch pin, which is what I was thinking. The bolt and nut would be a lot less wobbly, I would think.

Steve, I just may take you up on your offer! I did some stick welding years ago. My neighbor has a MIG that doesn't have a bottle so he just uses flux core, and I was thinking to borrow that. I'm sure I could get it done ugly on my first try with a MIG, and I just might anyway, for the fun of it. But then again, I may bug you!

- DAA

yeah let me know, its one of my favorite toys, I just don't get to play with it that much, mine also uses flux cored wire, I have an angle grinder I use to clean up the welds, so even a rookie can put out something decent, surprisingly strong welds too, I have never had a weld fail yet. wire feeds are SOOOOO much easier to use than a stick, with a stick welder I think you actually have to really know what you are doing.

Here is some of the ones I've belt in the past and they work really good for deer,elk,cats,and coyotes. All adjustable pulley, all ball bearings, comes apart. Also made a adapter to go on ATV trailer or the truck.

P10004851.jpg

P10004841.jpg

P10004701.jpg

P10004301.jpg

Coyote skinner pole
here’s the list of material
-1-1/2" square stock X 3/32" thick X 7' long ( not thin stock steel) this is the riser, up right.
- 1-1/2" square stock X 3/32" thick X 18" long, for hanging coyote, deer, foxes , off of. Drill hole ½ " in stock 1-1/2" from end. For hook and swivel with 2" flat washers, one is welded to square stock. A fiber washer is in between steel washers for friction.
-1 ea 4"X 6" flat stock cut across at angle to make two pieces. This you weld to hanger, that is 18" long. It also gets( two bearings) (off set from each other) one on top(out side) and the other one on bottom (inside). Bearings are sealed and small with ID of 1/8" to 3/8" , use all thread to go through them and nuts as needed, (out side nuts should be teflon luck nuts). Use washers and nuts as needed to fill space between flat stock
- 1 small hand winch and ½” rope. Mount winch above the tale gate where your hand will not hit it.
-1 closed in pulley 2" to 2-1/2" X 1/4" hole, this is on the top of 7' riser. Cut square stock down each side about 1-3/4" to fit pulley. Drill 1/4" hole in stock first,
-1 round stock 5/8" or 3/4"X 14" long ( concrete form rod works good ) then 3/8" to ½" round rod for the hooks on the end for hanging coyotes legs.

-1, 2" receiver stock, to clear your tail gate or a friends tail gate.

- option receiver stock, on the riser part put a 2" square stock X 4" weld it to the receiver. Then put riser stock into it, weld shims 1-1/4"L X1/2"W X1/8" T on all four sides of the 1-1/2"riser. Grind down to fit tight into 2" stock . This way you can take apart and put in truck not as bulky.

Hope this helps you, any questions Pm me I will be coyote hunting for a week out of state. Will get back with you next week. Hope to get some new pictures of coyotes coming in.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif GENE'O

Dave,
Here's the one I just made, It's simple but I think it will work. It's adjustable from 4' up to 7.5' tall. With my reciever being 18" off of the ground, that should be tall enough. It is 1.25" square tubing with 1" tubing inside.
It holds my 200lbs with no problem....

Hopefully I will be able to test it out soon.

IMGA0001.jpg

IMGA0002.jpg

IMGA0003.jpg

IMGA0004.jpg

Here's Mine.

005.jpg

Here's a better look, Made it big enough for deer. I am going to modify it into a two piece so it will take down and fit in the back of the truck.
10-21.jpg

Man... TONS of good stuff you guys are providing here! Giving me lots of ideas. Not sure whether I want to go real simple, or all out with a winch, pulleys, take down design and the whole nine yards. It's good to have so many ideas to consider though.

Thanks!

- DAA

Mine is probably overkill for skinnin' coyotes, but it works well for most things. I know it'll hold an oryx!

ToriAntelopeHanging1-.jpg

It's not that different from the others posted here, so we're starting to see a motif...

The winch and pulley may be something to think about, but you should defenitely do a take down design to make it easier to haul in your jeep....

Actually, this will be mostly for my pickup and my partners pickup trucks. I'd love to have a setup that works with the Jeep too, but there are some definite challenges there. Not the least of which, aside from just having room to carry it, is how weak the rear cross member on a TJ is. Even with strong frame tie-ins on a strong rear bumper, which my Jeep has, I think it could get dicey with as much leverage as a skinning pole could put on the cross member and even the rear frame rails. But, as I'm putting my pole together I'll do a little playing with fitting it on the Jeep too, and see what I think as it comes together.

- DAA

Back