1st season meat bull

huntsman22

Drove to nw co for the first season elk opener. Had a bull down at 7:00 am. opening morning. They were still bugling purty good.
IMG_1305.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg

IMG_1317.jpg

Had him packed out, camp broke down and a 250 mile drive home by 9:30 saturday night. It was a whirlwind of a good day.......Don

Quote:
Impressive!!!

I can never bring myself to leave any hunting camp early though. It doesnt matter how early I tag out.

What? you don't have to work for a living?

Archer, It's a stock kimber montana in 260rem. I done one of my paint jobs on 'er.... Closer look-see....
IMG_1299.jpg

The lightweight Tally's, little luepy, spider webb stock and tape on the business end caught my eye(or is that a break?). NICE looking stick. Nice Elk too.

Well done Don, that will be some good eating this winter! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Any snow on the way back?

How Far west were you? Around here the weather was pretty Volitile. The morning were nice, but afternoons got messy.

Congrats on the bull. He should be tasty.

Slater park. Up in you and knappers country. You are right on. I got rained on pretty good Friday setting up camp. Nice morning hunt and rain sat aft. I was in rain from Hayden all the way home. And still raining here......

Congrats Don. real nice "meat" bull!! I don't remember, you butcher yours yourself,.don't you.....or do you take it to the locker?

I decided to take mine out to Simla this year, all but the loins and other loose meat. They did a great job with it.

TR, I do my own usually. But last year I burnt up my grinder, so this year Michael at Dawson Meats is doing it. He's a great meat cutter that lives in the Bijou. Somewhat closer than Simla.......

Should've called me, my grinder still works!!! Might of even talked me into helping ya!!!

It's a nice drive out to Simla!! About 45 miles. Didn't know about Dawson meats! Let me know if ya like what they do with your elk!! Like I said, I am pleased with what Simla meats did with mine, but if there's someone closer, might have to check them out next time!

Michael Adams is a great cutter. I've used him a lot in the past. He used to live in town in Kiowa, but moved east. Still easy to get to, tho. Turn south on the Calhan road just past Bijou Creek, then your first right, he's the first place on the left. Call me if you ever need his number. Or just stop and visit with him and see his shop, when yer out there after coyotes. You may even be able to talk him into showing off his monster bighorn sheep.......There is some nice taxidermy work by Larry Dailey there,too.

Back