Anyone gonna bear hunt NY's new southern zone ?

FrankenCub

Anyone one this forum in NY's southern zone ? I was hoping they would extend the range to take bear in this area but we didn't think it was gonna happen for a few years. Then my gunsmith called me the day they decided to extend it. Made my year. Now to cross my fingers one comes in to me. My dog has been going crazy for the last month or so, usually starts about 4AM. She growls for quite a while and looks over the field behind me. Deer and coyotes have never bothered her, she would look at them and lay back down, wouldn't ever make a sound. But now she's quite unnerved with something. Went out tonight to call for coyotes a bit tonight and came across a neighbors bee hives next to the woods and they were trashed, all the goldenrod around them was trampled. I'm hoping there's a bear around, especially the way my labrachow has been acting.

I live in the southern zone and if a nice bear were to come close enough I would try to get a shot.I probably wont purposely go out and try to get one but if the oppurtunity arose I would take a shot.

I went back to those bee boxes today to look around and got stung up pretty good tryin to look for marks so I went back down this evening with a flash light now that the bees wont be on the move. There is a lot of claw marks all over the boxes where they been tore apart. Looks promising. Talked to my mother tonight and they have had a couple bears around their place, been tearing down all the bird feeders in the area. Guess I'm gonna slide over there tomorrow to look around, this may turn out to be a good year for me (fingers crossed).

The new season is nice, I will take one if I see it (a nice size one). I live in Livinston co, and have seen a few over the last couple of yrs . There are more around than are seen!!

i don`t know where you live in the southern zone, but i would try to get by some corn. 3 weeks ago down by windsor, we treed 3 bears out of 4. all 4 came out of the cornfeilds, within 5 miles of each other.

Thats cool. We have plenty of corn fields around. Guess a lady up the road a few miles had one in her yard last week also. I've been scoutin around and seen some pretty suspicious areas but with the ground being so dry I haven't been able to find any prints. I even walked the creek bed but it's so dry this year. They see them on a regular basis on the other side of the lake but there's gonna be too many people over there hunting this year, don't want any part of that.

Back