What animal is this? (game cam pic)

Looks like a gray fox... the face and body style looks like a gray. If it is eating pears (or any other fruit) this would give me another lean toward the gray. They are mostly omnivores until the cold weather snaps in, but in Florida I doubt that a freeze is coming any time soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think we jumped to a possibly premature conclusion that the animal was eating pears. First, how can you tell there are pears in the picture? I’m not sure about that. Second, just because the critter is sniffing around under the tree or near the fruit doesn’t mean it is actually eating the pears. Would pears be ripe enough to be falling to the ground in Florida at this time of year? One of the guys on the Calling the East told about killing a coyote that was eating persimmons. He shot a coyote from his deck that was nosing around under a persimmon tree. Naturally, he thought the coyote was eating the fruits. I commented that I was surprised the coyote was eating the persimmons so early as they were really bitter at the time and not ripe yet. After he investigated he agreed, the fruit wasn’t ready and evidently the coyote just happened to be checking things out under a persimmon tree when he was spotted and shot by the poster. Who knows what the critter is actually doing from a couple of still shots from a game camera. I keep looking at the tail… just doesn’t look right to me.

Body features strongly favors a fox to me.

Looks like a pear tree to me too. They apear to be ripe or very close as they are weighting the limbs down. Pears were ripe here in East Texas by the date on the photo. I would assume they would be ripe inby then in Florida too. Been seeing persimmon seeds in scat fot a few weeks now too.

Not sure whats wrong with it (if it is a fox) but is could be mangy.

Final answer....fox.

Byron

Quote:
From the looks of the 2nd picture......KANGAROO? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I agree, if you blow it up it looks like it is probably an escaped roo of some sort.

I enlarged the animal lightened it up some hope it helps.

blowup.jpg

brighten.jpg

goingaway.jpg

Quote:
Is there any possibility that this photo could have been doctored? The rear end does not look consistent with the rest of the body. Could it have been pasted on in a photoshop makeover?

I ran it through photo shop and all the tags are there and cant see any photo shop work done to it. It seems to be the real deal from here.

That's no kangaroo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It's front legs are too long. A roos front legs are VERY short, and the necks are different, too.

kevlars

Looks like a fox with something going on.

Here, look at my gray fox pics taken with the same type of Moultrie Infared.

fox1.jpg

fox2.jpg

fox3.jpg

fox4.jpg

These were about a month ago in Texas. You get that same kangaroo look. We think this is this year's pups/kits. We saw a moma fox earlier this spring with a couple of twins. This is probably them.

Back