Minaska and Me

FALFire

Well, the Bandit and I was at work again yesterday. The first one I was trying to get was in a bad location. I would have had to shoot right over the top of the ranchers cattle. I didn't think that was such a good idea so I had to let him go.

Later on a second one showed up and presented a 230 yard shot. I used the 243WSSM loaded with some Speer 90gr softpoints, made a mess of him. I ditched the pelt and keep the head for a skull mount.

10-09-08kill.jpg

Looks like a nice yote!

Good call on the first one. Those ranchers don't like their cattle shot at, for sure.

Good going! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Thanks guys. Heading out tomorrow early to take some friends up deer huntin'. Hope to bring back a nice photo of one or two.

Rick, good luck to ya pal. Have fun up on the mountain /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

So I go up to scout another area we are going to hunt tomorrow and this little guy pops out of the brush about 125 yards or so. Sorry, I didn't even have my range finder or my caller so I'm guessing on the distance and the bandit dosen't get any credit here. He was just a target of opportunity. Took this one with my 6x45 and Hornady 75gr. HP. Man those 75 Hornady's flat put a stop on these dogs.

Sorry about the blood but this one was a quick deal and I was outta there.

Youngmale.jpg

Falfire,

The blood isn't a problem. It's kinda hard to HUNT & not have any.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
It's the other stuff hanging out that gets the attention of those we wish weren't around.

I was meaning to ask you how you like that 6x45?
I think they are a good AR caliber. Maybe the best...

How's it do on knock-down power, accuracy, and saving fur on bobcats?

Also, who made your 6x45?

Thanks for answering.

Barry

Thanks guys this one was just plain stupid to walk out in front of a guy with a gun.

Barry, the 6x45 is a great coyote caliber. I really like it since this particular rifle is short, lightweight and very easy to load for. I built the upper on a Mega flat top and purchased the barrel from the Oly guys at one of the gun shows a while back. It's accuracy is plenty adequate for my ability to shoot and the 75 grainers just put a smack down on these dogs. I have yet had one wiggle much less even do the death spin like I had with the 223 rounds. They tend to drop DRT. Well, at least for far and I've killed I believe 5 dogs so far with this one. It does tend to make big holes but you may be able to reduce pelt damage with 55 grainers. I don't load'e, hot either, just seems this caliber works very well with moderate loads.

Okay, today I went out deer hunting with some friends and I ended up shooting one coyote and shot at two more. Sorry, I don't have a photo of the kill from today but that's life. It was a 60 yard shot with a 243 Remington 700 and the 100 grain Core-lockt bullet opened a crater sized hole on the exit side. I was with the land owner of one of the ranches I hunt and I was really just along for the ride, but when the rancher told me to shoot the dog....well, I just had to sever my purpose in life.

Later we were up on his land close to dark tonight and I spot 5 bucks about a mile out up in the winter wheat. So we head over and take a really loooooong walk up into the nicely seeded green growth of winter wheat. We get to the 285 yard mark when the bucks stop and look back towards us. We were laying along the edge of the wheat and the CRP concealed from veiw. I had the ranchers 11 year old son, hunker down behind my 243WSSM AR and for the first time of ever shooting this rifle, he lands the third round into the left hind quarter at... get this.......315 yard mark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

An increadible hit for a first timer. I told him to put the deer between the crosshair and the next stadia line down on the Leupold 4.5-14 Boone and Crocket scope. I calmly told him to feel the trigger and begin to squeeze slowly on the Jewell 2 stage 3 lb trigger. He did just that and made smoke just barely missing the buck. I told him to try again but again, a miss. The buck started to walk away and I told him to hold about 2 - 4 inches to the right into the wind, I heard boom smack and the buck stumbled around and stood wobbling looking like it was going down. However, it turned and bagan walking away. Long story short we failed to find the buck but we are heading back tomorrow early a.m. with some extra bodies to do more looking. It just got way too dark and we didn't have flashlights to assist us. Hoping and praying we find it tomorrow alive and bedded down in the CRP.

Wish us luck.

Back