cycleists rights

Tackdriver

When I got back into motorcycling after a long hiatus, I had thought that a lot of the stupid, pin-headed attutides toward motorcycles and people who ride them would have gone by the wayside. We afterall live in a time of tolerance, right? Wrong.

For example, did you know that under current law, insurance providers can refue to pay for treatment of an injury based solely on the source of the injury?
Motorcycling is one of these sources.

There is a bill called HR 6809 that, while not closing this loophole entirely, puts some limits on it.

There is a good article on this in the free paper AZ Rider. Also the motorcycle riders foundation can provide information at www.mrf.org.

Now Im putting this in a gun forum because if an insurance co. can deny benefits to a rider, what about the shooter whose action explodes? I dont think this is fair, in my estimation this is "bad faith".

So whether you ride or not, get out and support HR 6809. It aint perfect, but it seems to be a start.

On a bigger level, if you do ride, hook up with your local chapter of ABATE. Its kinda like the NRA for riders, and like the NRA, I sometimes dont agree with everything, but it seems like they are a very proactive orgainization.

Some of the more anti-motorcycle rhetoric Ive been hearing through the grapevine is RIGHT OUT OF SARA BRADYS PLAYBOOK. Rip out hunter or firearm and paste in rider or motorcycle.

At least give it some consideration.

Tackdriver,, You bring up an excellent point... I've also read of some insurance companies that totally cancel homeowner's policies if the homeowner has a private (their personal use only) safe range (regardless of size) on their property...

It pays to do a lot of checking and always be sure you understand all the 'fine print' in your policy...

Back