Rem R-15, Yeah or Nay?

Ursus21

Now that the Rem R-15 has been out for a while and several PM regulars own them, I want to know what's he verdict on these rifles? I've handled a couple at the store and my only real complaint is of all the rifles I've picked up the triggers pretty much sucked. However, triggers can easily be replaced. What I'm mostly concerned with is how accuracte and reliable these rifles are. So is buying one money well spent, if not what would be a better choice for a comparable price?

Ive never had a problem with mine. been shooting it a lot latley and not a hiccup. I like the light weight and portablitly, i got the 18" CS carbine. Accuracy is awesome althoug im a lousy shot past 300 yrds. The trigger for being what it is, is actually pretty nice. just have to remember to keep it lubed up

specializedcc, please define "very accurate"? I mean what kind of groups are you realistically able to shoot with your rifle? Is yours the 18" or 22" barreled version?

Mine is the 22" 223 and lots of groups at 1 inch and several under 1 inch. I did the 15 minute trigger job, you can google it. That lightened the pull quite a bit, still has a long pull but I dont mind. It shoots better than I can thats for sure!

Im shooting factory Black Hills Match Grade Hollow Points 55gr (i think, cant look now)

i get about 1 in groups at 200yrds, again im a horrible shot
but shooting coyotes as long as i can hit a 10" target at 200 yrds thats good enuff for me..

Hardcoreslot, I appreciate your honesty about your shooting. I'll tell ya, I sure have a hard time finding Black Hills ammo anywhere around this country. I swear they don't import to Montana.

Ursus21 - For the money you'd spend on an R15 you could contact Dan Carey at Cary Custom Rifle Company. Google his website. He has 35 years making custom match grade rifles and does impeccable work. Dozens of members on Predator Masters have used him and are more than satisfied.

Just a suggestion.

No complaints on accuracy with mine.(18") Certainly as accurate as any AR thats not a "custom" tack-driver. Most people buy them because of; a)Remington b)the camo finish c)they were made to be LIGHTER than other AR's (carry gun), or d)ALL THE ABOVE. I personally fall into the last catagory!

Quote:
No complaints on accuracy with mine.(18") Certainly as accurate as any AR thats not a "custom" tack-driver. Most people buy them because of; a)Remington b)the camo finish c)they were made to be LIGHTER than other AR's (carry gun), or d)ALL THE ABOVE. I personally fall into the last catagory!

im
a)
b)
but i wasnet c) till i held one (anything is lighter than my .243 wit ultimate sniper stock)

I really like my R-15. I finally killed a coyote with it recently at about 50 yards. Easy shot for this rifle.

DSC00636.jpg

Nailed this groundhog at 167 measured yards, hit him right where I aimed. Rifle sighted in to be dead on at 200 yards.

100_1601.jpg

Here are some groups at 100 yards. . . .

100_1528.jpg

100_1526.jpg

100_1527.jpg

I also did the internet trigger job on mine. It helped but I plan to buy a Chip McCormick drop in trigger soon. Mine also had the 3 X 9 Nikon scope.

100_1396.jpg

Jim

I just bought one a couple weeks ago, have only shot a couple hundred rounds through it, but it handles and functions very well, i am just starting to work on some handloads.

Quote:
Im shooting factory Black Hills Match Grade Hollow Points 55gr (i think, cant look now)

i get about 1 in groups at 200yrds, again im a horrible shot
but shooting coyotes as long as i can hit a 10" target at 200 yrds thats good enuff for me..

1" groups at 200 yards is .5MOA. that sounds like pretty good shooting to me. Either there was a typo, or somethin is fishy with that statement

Yay. I'm in the "D" category, too. The 18" CS R-15 223 is exceptionally light and well balanced - a joy to carry.

Just bought a companion R-25 308 which makes the R-15 seems even lighter! The 308 rifle is much bigger and not so well balanced IMHO.

I like mine my main reasons for the R15 was the lighter weight compared to a bull barrel and yes the camo finish is cool too. Mine shoots very well I shoot factory loads but do not shoot from a bench or rest.
Those groups are impressive Frogman, lets me know what the rifle is capable of and how much I need to practice my shooting.

Back