Baiting

JB

Hi fellas. I love to hunt groundhogs and was thinking about useing the dead groundhogs to bait some of the spots that I call coyotes. But since summer is good hogs hunting arround here I was thinking about useing some parts and freeseing them so I could use them latter this fall when I don't have any fresh kills, and a way of useing the lil hogs too. I know many use road killed deer, but those are few arround here. Anybody ever try something like this? If it's just crazy just say so, wont hurt my feelings a bit, I'm getting used to it,haha. JB

Hi Fellas, let me claif this a tad. I'm not talking about a freezer full of blowed up groundhogs here. What I was thinking about was cutting the hindquarters off and freezeing them.
See most of my calling stands are on different sm farms, so I have alot of travel time getting to and fro. And I only get 4 or 5 stands usually in a morning or eve, so I work them usually atleast 30min or so.
Then this fall or winter on the stands where I seem to get hang ups or get winded often, I could throw out a groundhog hindquarter crosswind or somethin and use it as a bait or coverscent type deal.
If you all think this is plain loco, just say so, this isn't the frist brain fart I've had, and as young as I am, it won't be the last,hahaha. So what you you guys think. am I looney bin material or what?? JB

JB, I suspect that you are not getting replies because we just don't know. But if you try it and tell us how it works........

------------------
Critr

LW42144.jpg

www.SaguaroSafaris.com

JB,
Here's a tip for you from an old trapper. Take those groundhogs and chop them up and put them in jars. Bury them with about 6 inches of ground over the top of them. When you are ready to start baiting them in, all you have to do is take a jar and open the lid. I guarantee this will be an odor that predators can not resist.
Doug

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Hay Doug I trust ya man, so I'm going to give it a try, but if I open one of them jars up and my balls shrivel up, then when I die I'm going ta come back and haunt ya forever!!! haha
Thing is I've been popping these hogs left and right arround here this yr, and I got a couple of ol ladies that take a few of the younger ones, and since I don't eat em, thought they might be good for somethin else. Any certian parts to use or not use?
By the way I do know an old catfish catcher that does somethin like this and man he does get some big cats. I'll let ya guys know the results. JB

JB,
Gut the groundhog and chop the rest up. Leave the fur on it. You gotta try to keep the flies off it, or you'll end up with a jar of magots. Trust me, it will draw in all types of predators.
Doug

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Man the ideas that we come up with just to get a shot at the elusive coyote.
Gotta love it
smile.gif

------------------
Hunt'em Hard
CoyoteKrazy

Nothing wrong with a freezer full of groundhogs or squirrels. I bought an extra fridge with freezer on top, to store trapping lures and urine. A couple days a year I would shoot groundhogs or squirrels with a rimfire, bag em' up and put them in the freezer. Worked great for trapping. For baiting and calling though, I don't know if a rodent will keep them occupied long enough to do you a lot of good. Unless you just have a dedicated bait station to condition them to check out frequently and hold them in the area. That jar of stinky stuff you are gonna make might bring em' in from miles around though. We team up to call someday, the jar has to ride in the back though. LOL

Later, Curt

I agree with Curt.When making a number of stands,I usually make between 10 and 15 stands in a day of calling.It would be a waste of time to put a few ground dogs out at each stand and come back to call.If it is specific coyotes you are after it might be a different story.But again I don't think a few ground dogs will make that much of a difference.If it makes you feel more confident that you will call something in with the Bait then by all means go for it.
smile.gif

There might be a few specific places where baiting might net you a few animals, but it is a lot of trouble, and they will always go to the distress call, so I'd say it depends on how much effort you want to put into it.

To give you an example. There is this secret facility out there in the desert. Big fence, no way to get in, but the patrols use a road inside and outside the fence. We knew there was a good population of coyotes on the property because they actually have a lake, which is always a good attraction in the desert. There is constant use of crawl holes under the fence, so the was no argument, they were in there, big time.

So, the problem was how to sit outside and call them coyotes away from a pretty cushy setup? We also had a big hunt that was going to be held nearby. So, my partner had an idea. He lived closer, so he would take his boy and drive the entire perimeter, every week, leading up to the big contest; with a fifty pound bag of Kennel Ration, ripping a hole in the corner.

A lot of effort ($) for two coyotes and second place. I have not a clue that it helped a bit.
smile.gif
We had killed that many several times before, in past years, so who knows?

Good hunting. LB

Hay Curt, i know what ya mean about back of the truck, man I'm gona handle that stuff like it's necular waste.haha
Hi ya Terry, I know what ya mean about coyotes thinin the hogs out. I have seen a drop in groundhogs in the foothill type farms arround here to the north towards bristol. Most of my groundhog hunting is in the sm mountain farms now. Seems like about 5yr ago I started hearing em. Never seen one till three yr ago though.That's about the time the farmers started talking about emand that's when I started hunting em. But we've always had a problem with wild dog packs, I've hunted them since I was a kid. But the coyotes have got a preaty good start arround here, and I'm the only one i know who has hunted them more than twice.
I guess most of this is I just hate to waste 70-100 hogs a yr. I even slow cook some of em for my dads dogs. Show ya how smart dogs are, My dads 2 chows killed a chuck th other morning and took it to this door for him to cook it for em. So'l here's my dad calling me to ask how to cook one. Laughed my butt off. JB

JB,

I think the ground hog bait will work, the only problem I can see is that the coyote will probably grab a mouthful and head for the hills, and again this probably will happen at night.

In Maine, in the winter , they use beaver and muskrat carcasses, frozen solid together for bait, where the coyotes have to stay and work on it( to big to be dragged away) But, from what I have seen and heard, best by far is a deer or similar size critter that the coyotes can repeatedly return to. I don't know how much activity the bait will receive during the warm months and during daylight hours. but it may be worth a try.

Hope I helped.

Vinny,

------------------
yotewalk.gif

[This message has been edited by VCinRI (edited 05-29-2001).]

JB ,I think you have a great idea ! we do it down here in LA . Me and a shooting buddy have about a 1/2 dozen spotts that we bait . We shoot all sorts of critters . Perhaps tha funniest part of all this is tha gathering of tha road kill. To avoid looking like a complete idiot we would do our gathering at night. all you need is a pitch fork and a 55 gal. drum cut in half. Another big plus is watching folks come up behind you while going down tha road and watching them back off after they catch a whiff of tha gutt wagon !

hay ground, ain't no way i'm on the roads at night with a pitchfork arround here, One of these drunkin hillbillys would shoot me for sure thinking I was the devil after em,hahaha. jb

If u have any ranchers round' ur area u might ask em' if a calf or cow dies if u can have it cause they aint got much use for it and it will keep the yotes' comin back for more.....
Hope this helps.
Tx

------------------
Women want me.... Furbears fear me....

Back