Bullet?

mattd007

Hey guys. I am thinking about saving the fur this year and need to know what kind of bullet I should use that won't destroy the hide. I plan on going for coyotes, fox, and hopefully bobcat. I am shooting a Weatherby VS in 22-250, currently I am using 55 grain Winchester black box ballistic tips. On the MidwayUSA website, it says they fragment in smaller game,but are those gonna tear through fox and bobcat? I can't seem to find any FMJ and I don't reload. My only other choice would be a Ruger 10/22, not enough firepower I am thinking for larger game. Thanks-Matt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I dont know if the 60 vmax will stabilize with that rifle, depends on the twist. I have never liked the poly tipped bullets(vmax and nosler). If you do go with one, stay with the heaviest grain you can stabilize. I prefer the 53g sierra matches in my 22-250. I will sometimes get an exit, but it is rarely over quarter size. Another thing is, get ready to do some sewing. There is no perfect bullet, so alot of hides may require a stitch or two. Also, stay away from fmj bullets. There terminal performance is marginal at best. I would rather do a little sewing than loose one.
Maintain

Forgot to add that I think you will find the 22-250 is very hard on fox, regardless of bullet choice.

Last edited:
I used to shoot the Sierra 52gr match HP's out of my 250. It seemed to be about the most fur friendly bullet I could come up with for that round. Also I kept the velocity at about 3600-3650fps to avoid massive blow ups. Great coyote gun, not so great fur gun. That's why I'm shooting a 17 rem now.

If this is the gun you have to hunt with right now don't sweat it. As others have said you may have to do a little sewing and that's fine too. Use what you got, get good at skinning and putting up fur and eventually you'll come up with your own ideal load for your purposes. Or down the road you may switch guns like some others have. No biggie.

Back