Sad News: NM Game & Fish Fiasco

rockinbbar

Here in Alamogordo today, we attended a scheduled public meeting of the N.M Game and Fish Commission.

The turnout was large for this type of meeting because it concerned a very controversial topic here in New Mexico...

The meeting was also VERY enlightening, as to the sad state of affairs our Game Commission has sunken.

The controversial issue at hand involves US as predator hunters. It is about the state hiring an "independant" scource.....a known environmental/anti hunting group to aide in the construction of a new Cougar Law for the books that will institute in 2010/2011 season.

In a nutshell the law takes away private landowners ability to protect their own property by shooting, trapping or snaring cougars...even on their own property. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

They further hinder our sport by attaching a CRIMINAL OFFENSE plus a huge civil liability suit to those that inadvertantly catch a lion in a manner that may result in the lion's death.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

In layman's terms, if you have a coyote snare in place to catch a coyote, and a lion walks through it & strangles, you can be found guilty of a criminal offense. You can be jailed, fined, and last but not least, you will face a CIVIL suit that will award the state of New Mexico for your mistake. In other words, the state will sue you for the replacement value of the lion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

In over 4 hours of public hearings the general public was OUTRAGED at this action by the commission!

Not ONE person, besides the two Anti-Hunting environmentalist women that the state consulted was in favor of the new law. Not one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

In the over 4 hours of testimony we heard from ranchers, state representitives, hunters, trappers, outfitters, and concerned citizens.

One of those offereing testimony was the parents of a young boy that had been attacked by a lion lass than 3 months ago.
The boy was horribly mangled, & only survived because his dad fought the lion off his son. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

One of the worst moments was when Game Commissioner Sandy Buffett, who is supposed to support hunting & hunters, told the public that while all the tesimony was interesting, it had nothing to do with whether thy passed the law or not!
She is an environmentalist EXTREME & should be removed from our game commission. Immediately!

The second firing that should occur is Director Bruce Thompson. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

The man is nothing but an environmentalist in the hardest sense of the word. He has not been confirmed by the House & Senate of New Mexico yet, & I hope he is NEVER confirmed.
His job is wildlife management. Not to KILL HUNTING in New Mexico.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

There are good people on our side State Representative Candy Spence Ezell, and State Representative Vaughn were in attendance as well as other members of the House, & County Commission. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Kudos to them, and their willingness to support hunting & outdoorsmen & ranchers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

One of the last people to speak was the environmentalist woman the state consulted about these laws.....She told us that we should not let our kids run ahead of us while on a trail in New Mexico. (How lame is THAT?)

She was violently "Booed and Hissed" by the crowd that had just heard from the parents of the wounded boy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So far this year, there have been 3 serious attacks on people by lions in New Mexico. One of which was fatal.

In conclusion, the Game Commission "tabled" the issue, but refused to back away from their new law.

I hope that if you read this report, whether you hunt NM or not, you will see what letting ENVIRONMENTALISTS & ANTI-HUNTERS infiltrate your Game Dept. will result in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I, for one, will fight tooth & nail to preserve our hunting heritage & uphold the wisdom of genrations past have shown....

It isn't until recently that we have had the HUGE battles with the anti's to preserve our gunrights & hunting priveleges.

I hope you will post similar threads as they come to light in your state.

The organization of like-minded people is the only way we will be allowed to hunt ANYTHING after the next decade.

Don't take this too lightly. Look at California, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico....Look at the stupid bans on hunting, guns & our FREEDOM & HERITAGE that have taken place in just a couple of years' time.

YOU could be next.

Predator Masters has created this forum to make you aware of the things that happen that affect you.

I would like to see similar experiences that you have seen posted here as well.

Thanks for reading.
Sorry about the length, but this stuff is important.

Barry

Sounds like a few hundred of you should corner your Governor and Attorney General for a back room meeting to express your agitation....and concerns....

Then go after your Senators and Representatives.... There is a lot of pressure that needs to be brought on that attitude by members of the Conservation Department...

Those top officials are subject to the next election and believe me, that counts when most department heads are by appointment of the elected...

"Democrat Hunter" = Oxymoron.

For a hunter to vote Democrat is just like shooting one's self in the foot. Painful and totally counterproductive.

A Democrat pol will talk a good game about supporting hunting and gun rights, but then 'backdoor' by appointing and/or hiring antis.

I'll bet there in NM some of the money used to pay these antis came from hunter-paid licensing and similar fees.

Sickening.

Quote:
"Democrat Hunter" = Oxymoron.

For a hunter to vote Democrat is just like shooting one's self in the foot. Painful and totally counterproductive.

A Democrat pol will talk a good game about supporting hunting and gun rights, but then 'backdoor' by appointing and/or hiring antis.

I wish you lived here, I could sure use you for my campaign manager. You have described my opponent to a "T".

Barry,

Here next door in Arizona, One can buy mountain lion tags over the counter for $14.00, Only one per year in most cases though.

Dave

They did much the same thing in Washington. Some of that is changing with the presence of big cats in almost every suburb on the West side of the state.

Sure feel for you guys there. Hope it works out, but your going to have to get every single hunter, trapper and sportsman to write letters and make calls or your going down the tube.

Our wolf problems here in Idaho has ended up making criminals out of ranchers and hunters and doesn't look like it's going to get any better.

Quote:
Barry,

Here next door in Arizona, One can buy mountain lion tags over the counter for $14.00, Only one per year in most cases though.

Dave

You can buy tags here in NM to hunt lions.

They just don't provide for a ways & means for ranchers to protect their property, and the silly limits they put on lions does not mean you will be able to kill one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

I can go buy a lic. over the counter.....pay for it, get the tag.....BUT, I have to call F&G to see if they reached their limit of lions in the area I'm hunting before I go hunt.
The cost of the lic. $300 for out of state, does not get refunded if they tell you you can't hunt.

Texas has lions listed as a non-game animal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

No season, no bag limit. You can volunteer to report kills to Parks & Wildlife to help biologists keep track of lion kills. The hunter that is deer hunting and sees a lion can shoot it. Trappers can control them on problem areas as well. (Without fear of being arrested if they inadvertantly catch one.)
They have the sense enough to not tell grown men that they can't protect their family & livestock from lions.

They don't have lion populations "made up" by anti-hunting groups with special agendas.

One thing the environmentalists group wanted was to make a course in "Identifying Male & Female Cougars" MANDATORY before a lion lic. is sold. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'm sorry folks, but I'm not gonna run out there & raise it's tail & see if it's a female before I protect my livestock.

The truly SAD part about this story is that even though the public stated it's case with over 4 hours of testimony, (and still had a line of people waiting to speak)....the people that are positions with Fish & Game chose to side with special interest environmental groups, instead of LISTENING to the public that actually pays their salaries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

As many of you that hunt New Mexico know, the over the counter deer licenses are a thing of the past now....The reason they have gone to the draw system and limits of numbers of big game taken is because LIONS have depleted the deer population to the point where seeing a deer is a novel event in some areas.

New Mexico Game laws are confusing & lack the good common sense that allows hunters & sportsmen to actually enjoy the outdoor experience.

Lord knows what our kids and grandkids will face with leadership such as this... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

So, the state can sue you if you kill a mountain lion.

Can you sue the state if a mountain lion attacks you?
Just wondering

John

Thanks for giving an update Barry. It's a sad fact that we are getting more and more outsiders from states like CA,MA,NY,MD and others that are bringing in there non-traditional values. They pretty much ruin anything good.

We need to lobby the Governor to get all of his liberal cronies off the commision.

Keep us updated.

The worst part of it all is that our great governor Richardson is the biggest bunny hugger of them all. The enviromentilsts have way more money than all of us put together. The center for biologic deversity has Bruce Thompson in their back pockets , when they say jump he jumps. The lion deal is going to be just like the wolf problem , out of our hands.

Barry, good luck in your fight.Yes, we in Az may in fact buy a tag over the counter, however, in their infinite wisdom,F&G has for the first time ever instituted a season on lions.Certain areas of the state which have depredation problems presently allow you to fill your tag and purchase another, assuming the quota has not been met in that area.Areas where both antelope and Desert sheep have suffered are the areas generally speaking, where tags may be replaced.Reporting and delivery of a molar are always required and the kill must be reported within 24 hours to F&G, specifying where the kill occurred.The rules here in Az can be quite confusing also and appear to be on a downward spiral against hunters.Unlike you guys,I do not have livestock to protect,however,I suspect that somehow you must find a way to protect your livelihood regardless of outsiders concerns.I fear that the generations following will never experience the grandeur, beauty and the fulfillment we've been blessed to experience.

Bruce Thompson was appointed by Richardson...

I think they BOTH need the boot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
Bruce Thompson was appointed by Richardson...

I think they BOTH need the boot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

That will be tough in this state. Richardson is a very popular and he rewards his loyalist with very good paying gigs.
Not sure the NM republican party is orginised enough to get someone in 2010. Looks like we will have to suffer trough Marty or Denish.

Quote:
Heather Wilson may stand a chance.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I think most NM republicans are hoping Wilson has a cabinet seat at that time. That would mean that Obama did not get elected. She is rumored to be the top pick for Sec of Defense.

Back