Remington Model 7 Predator 17 fireball

FOXHUNT

A friend of mine has a 700 sps varmint which I like. Its a little on the heavy side for me as a calling gun. I am
thinking about getting the model 7 predator. For you guys
that have this rifle what do you think of it. This gun will
be used in New England so long shots are not a question. We see a fair amount of fox and also the possible bobcat show
up.

I have the plain SPS Sporter and love it. I was considering the varmint, but wanted something to carry. I looked at the model 7 but it was too light. I like a little heavier rifle to shoot offhand. It just balances better for me and I shoot it better. The SPS sporter was a compromise and I haven't regretted it.

It's super accurate with H322 and either Berger 25's or the old style Rem 25's. Still working with the 25 Vmax loads. I shot a 1.25" 300 yard group in a match in August and it was windy as heck with horrible mirage. I beat all the custom guns, and came in 2nd in score to a CZ in 204R (but my group size was smaller). All I've done is lighten the trigger (not quite enough yet) and bedded it with JB Weld.

bownut

I think some of the guys on the Calling the East forum here at PM have the Model Seven Predator in the .17 Fireball chambering. You might pm a member "Pruson" if he doesn't see this and ask his opinion of the cartridge. They bought the rifle and .17 Fireball because they call a lot of gray fox. My wife just surprised me with a new Model Seven Predator in .243. I put a Leupold VX-III 3.5x10x40 in Talley lightweight 2-pc mounts and like the rig a lot. It is light to carry; slim through the forearm and responsive handling, yet the 22" magnum contour barrel has enough "hang" to be steady for offhand shots. I have only fired mine once very quickly; I ran to the range with a box of Remington 100 gr. Core-Lokt and got the scope zeroed. I did shoot two three shot groups after getting in the bull at 100 yards that were around 1 1/4" each. That gives me hope that with some handloading work I can find a good shooting load. I have some 85 gr. Sierra BTHP's worked up in two batches, one bunch with Varget, another with IMR-4064, and hope to get the chronograph and rifle to the range over the weekend. Hopefully one of those loads will shoot bugholes for me. So far, I really like the rifle... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have a Model 7 in 204. Not a Predator model. It was one of 500 run for Davidson's. It is HIGHLY accurate and a joy to carry..........

This is just my opinion, so take it for what it cost you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I looked at the Rem M7 predator. I think the stock is junk, like the other factory sythetics out there. I really don't like the factory synthetic stocks. So I couldn't justify paying the extra money for a camo junk stock that I would eventually change out. I bought the much cheaper Model 700 sporter SPS in 17 FB and am enjoying it. I also had scope mounts for the M700 which are different from the M7.

Other than that I think it's a nice rifle.

I couldn't agree more about the stock. It is the only tupperware I've ever left on a rifle. The .5moa 200yd groups persuaded me.......

100_0410.jpg

100_0400.jpg

100_0225.jpg

Groups were shot with a 3-9x40 Elite Firefly. Crosshair actually covers the ten ring and then some. It now sports a Leupy VXII tactical 3-9x40 with Premier #4. Groups should shrink even more.......grins

Those are really good groups and a good shooting rifle. I'm guessing that is the normal groups most people get with those rifles.

You got me, I'm changing my opinion. I feel silly, perhaps wasting all that money on a McMillan when I should have been looking for a factory synthetic takeoff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm just joking and having fun here. Those really are good groups especially for a factory setup.

Last edited:
It kind of amazed me too. Trigger was a lemon, and replaced it with another tuned/ honed 700 trigger. It still shot though, just too heavy a pull. It now breaks clean a 1 lb 13 oz. Replaced j-lock with Gre-Tan unit also. Haven't found a need to dump any more money into something that shoots like it does, being purely a huntin' rifle.

FWIW, I have found several models 7's to benefit from the factory "pads" on the forend tip of the stock....

Quote:
FWIW, I have found several models 7's to benefit from the factory "pads" on the forend tip of the stock....

Can you be more elaborate about that statement, I hope I don't need the info, but just in case... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you look a the end of the tupperware stocks, they have little "pads" in the forend tip. They are there to exert upward pressure upon the forend tip. Much as if you full length bedded the rifle with a slight amount of weight hanging from the barrel. I have never found them to be beneficial on a 700, but to the contrary on a M7......

OK, I knew the pads were in there and their purpose. I had heard of some guys grinding them down so they didn't touch the barrel and that supposedly improved accuracy on a few M7's that didn't want to shoot well. Without bedding the receiver I wouldn't think that too good an idea with this particular stock.

I just bought one for my son. He wanted the camo version so we got it. Cabelas all sold out of brass so I bought 60 rounds with the accutip I think that is how you spell it. Anyway with factory ammo it was just over an inch at 100. Pretty good for a lightweight rifle.
Sinclair did not have any wilson dies so I had to get them from wilson, I had to pay more but I wanted them. Now we are still working on the load but 5 shots can be covered by a dime. I love it,we have not had a lot of animals with it but I like it better than my .17 Rem. No exits on coyotes it should work good on bobcats and fox.

I picked up a Model 7 Predator in .17 Furball this summer... I didn't get great groups with it at first and noticed that the shots seemed kind of random, sometimes vertical. After opening up the barrel channel and stiffening the stock with JB Weld it has turned into a great shooter. I am currently whittling down my grain charge on H4198 pushing the 25 gr. Bergers. Tonight I was able to keep 5 shot groups around 3/4" at 100 yds. I'm super happy with how it's panned out. I was worried at first but now I'm cranked up to get out and bag some fur with it.

Thanks guys for the input. I believe I am going to order
one tonight. Since one of my main concerns is collecting
fur for the fur trade I don't think I can go wrong with
this choice. Its not worth it to miss out on a cat or fox
cause I am carrying to much gun cause one showed up while
coyote hunting. Ive seen first hand what a 223 does to a
fox using 55gr soft point none the less. It wasn't pretty.
Soft ball size holes are not fun to fix. If you guys have
pictures of your model 7 predator I would love to see them.
Thanks again.
Foxhunt

Three of us guys here in VA that hunt together bought this rifle in 17 Fireball. If you buy it as a calling rifle, you will be pleased. If you buy it to go to the range and try and shoot groups, you won't be so pleased. Those bumps or pads up front in the forearm do have an influence on consistent trajectory when shot several times as in firing from the bench at the range for groupings. It's all about thermal expansion of two dissimiliar materials that is not always equal. Mine has performed excellently in the field when shot maybe once every hour or two, very consistent, very accurate as a calling rifle. When shot for groups it walked around within an inch and half very inconsistently. My recommendation is sight it in and stop shooting and use it to hunt with. My "theory" above is based on hillbilly logic from an Ozark-American and one PhD in Physics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I've shot four groundhogs with mine at various yardage up to 200 yards, all were shot through the ear canal by aiming center mass on the side of the head.

Those new X Mark Pro Triggers on these rifles are sweet when they respond to adjustment. Two of our three worked great, one required replacement by an after market trigger, the original wouldn't adjust(at all).

Here is mine with a VX-III 3.5x10x50 Heavy Duplex, calling scope.

FireballPredator.jpg

Pruson,
That is exactly what this rifle will be used for. I
enjoy punching fur instead of paper. After it is sighted in
it will be used for what it was intended for. Harvesting
fur. Are you guys handloading or using Remmy accutips for
hunting. I'm not a reloader but that could change at any
moment. Between trapping and hunting I find it hard to find
time. Nice looking rifle by the way. Do you like the 50mm
obj. over the 40mm on rifle?

I had the same issue at the bench... super touchy when fired multiple times. Once I took the dremel to it and opened up the barrel channel, it was a whole different animal. 5 shot groups consistently within 1" and very consistent POI from group to group. I've been tinkering with H4198 and the 25 gr. Bergers and have had great luck w/ 16.7 grains. I'm going to run the lot from 16.6 to 17.0 and see where I end up. I'm very hopeful that this will become my "after dark" calling rifle. The gun is a dream to point and shoot, luckily I got an X-mark that adjusted down nicely.

Good Luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
Pruson,
Are you guys handloading or using Remmy accutips for
hunting. Do you like the 50mm obj. over the 40mm on rifle?

I've been just shooting the factory fodder this summer, but will change that in Nov when calling season arrives. I'll be using the 25 gr Berger Match with H4198. Cooper Woods has had good luck with that in his Predator F/B.

As for the larger obejctive. I have VX-III 3.5x10x50 and VX-III 4.5x14x50 Leupolds on my calling rifles. With that quality of glass, especially on the lower powers, there is not a difference between the 40mm and the 50mm except in price. During most of my calling they are set as low as they will go. But at dusk, if one hangs up at 100 plus yards and starts playing peek-a-boo in and through the brush at me, I'll run em up to 10X or 14X and gather that little extra light and tag him.

With artificial light at night, one is just as good as the other. Not much difference, again I usually stay on the lowest power available.

Well as of yesterday I am the proud owner of a Predator
in 17 Fireball. I also had it fitted with a 3 x 9 bushnell
elite 3200 with fireflight crosshairs which I love. I can't
wait to get it sighted in and hunt with it. My buddy has
the 700 sps in 17 fireball which he used on a greyfox last
Saturday at a whole 15yds. When I skinned it out there was
about a 1"Dia. hole since he hit it low almost missing it.
I almost brought the shotgun but instead I was carrying a
.223 with 55gr softpoints so there was no way I was shooting. Been there done that with a red fox. Not pretty!!!

Back