almost Ready for cougar R25 243

bearmanric

Well was at Cabalas this morning to get a mossberg 835 turky special shotgun. for in the brush for cougar. have a bunch of dead coyote 3 1/2 T shot. well i look at the AR's and there is a R25 243. finely i got one just got the scope on. went with a nikon monarch 3x12x42SF NP. Going with 75 grain vmax's. cougar here i come. Rick

P1000089-1.jpg

R15 204 on top to compare. R25 243 on bottum.
P1000088-1.jpg

hey bear
nice stuff
hold that mossberg tight
i would suggest the limbsaver butt addition
have you fired the 3 1/2 loads yet
trust me
they will rock you

guero

Oh, Rick, That's Sweet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

You must have a wonderful wife! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Looks good, Rick! My new Encore 243 is going to be my go-to Lion gun. Was gonna use my #1 25-06, but it's just too pretty. Got the black synthetic Encore to beat up!

Yeah, the 3.5's have a bit of a whump to 'em!

Only been on one Cougar stand so far. Friend's neighbor jumped a pair out of the road in their foothill development. I was able to set up 2 hours later, about 600 yards away (no shoot zone) but nothing showed. Found out later they were long gone up the drainage, another rural resident saw then in his yard, I guess he got pictures. Big goose egg for me.

Wow Rick those are awesome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Those Cougars are in trouble /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Kerry

Very nice! What are the weights of those "R" guns? I have the pistol grip version of that shotgun and you will like it. I did install a LimbSaver. The only problem I have had is that it shoots about 10 inches high and left at 40 yards using Dead Coyote "T" shot and there is not enough adjustment in the sights to compensate. I solved the problem by installing a Mueller holo sight which works great.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see a range report from the R25. That's awesome. It doesn't get any better than a semi-auto, camo, 243.

While I think that is a truly sweet rifle I have to wonder what kind of country your cougars run around in? Any place I've ever hunted with cougars present has been pretty rough country and the idea of lugging around an R-25 doesn't appeal much to me. I picked one the other day and it's definitely not a light weight rifle. Then perhaps your probably a lot bigger and younger than I am, and it won't phase you like it would me. Good luck with the big kitties.

11# with emty magazine. the gun will be for certain area's dark timber, overgrown clearcut's some of the ridge's i hunt. i also have a 25/06 Thompson center pro Hunter with a 3x9x50 Leopold using 95gr ballistic tip's. and just bought a Foxpro scorpian and will use my hand call's.eastern washington a little more open but Hilly and canyon's. this weekend i'll be using my 300win proHunter calling bear. really like the contender's. Rick

Rick,

Best of luck to you.

Side note - Is that shotgun 3 1/2 "T" shot for "in the brush cougar" the best choice? 54 .20 pellets could make a mess of a nice rug? Is that a "back up gun" for trailing a wounded cat or heavy cover hunting set up? Maybe a good topic for a different post..

Anyway, look forward to seeing the pictures.

P.S. Since I called in my last lion, I've done 32 in-a-row lion stands on the Kiabab in September without success.

As you well know - Persistence will be the key, but a little luck wont hurt.

AP

Ap for heavy brush. mainly i got it for coyote's in over grown clear cut's. i'll almost alway's will use the 243, 25/05 and a 22-250. Rick

Back