Speaking of scopes, has anyone used a Nikko Sterling scope?

CatShooter

... Any good?

They have some scopes in the $800 range, so I would think (that's dangerous) that they might have something that the BSA/Barska crowd doesn't have.

Hey Cat, Man I haven't personally looked through one or handled one for that matter. However(and I could be wrong on the source) I;m relatively certain I saw an article on Snipercountry on them, and they said it's one of the best deals going and it had won some sort of an award(like best new optic or something). I do know that they are imported by the same company that imports Howa rifles though.

Thanks alot man! Now I have to research something else.

Chupa

Here we go. They are imported from Australia by Legacy Sports. It appears that in 2007 it was awarded "Optic of the year" by Shooting Illustrated. Still though, that ain't much to go on and I couldn't find the article that I was referring to.

Chupa

I have four in 6-24x56. They are slightly milky above 20x...but work VERY well up to that point. But, what do you expect for a $200 scope?

HUGE plus on the extended mildots (more dots!!) that EVERY mildot scope shouldhave.

Fine but not TOO fine of reticle either...just right.

I like the side focus and the eyepiece fast focus.

Hold zero well, no issues so far. NOT mounted on any high recoil calibers though.

Locking turrets work good, not great, but good.

For $205 at cheaperthandirt, you cannot beat that price for a fully multi coated scope.

Will buy again and again.

Quote:
Here we go. They are imported from Australia by Legacy Sports. It appears that in 2007 it was awarded "Optic of the year" by Shooting Illustrated. Still though, that ain't much to go on and I couldn't find the article that I was referring to.

Chupa

The lens come from Japan, and they are assembled in Aussi Land.

They make a 10-50x60mm that weighs nearly three pounds, and street price is around $800...

I did find this link from Google:

http://www.airguns.net/reviews_nikkosterling_diamond_1050.php

I think I neeeeeed one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You could just leave your spotting scope at home if you had that bad boy on your gun.

Our local shop sells Nikko, but mostly their lower end stuff. My shooting buddy picked one up for his .308, its not that bad of a scope. I remember resolving some bullet holes at nearly 500 yards one day on 16x. But the scope lacks a returnable zero.

I am real curious about that sidewheel feature. I don't know if I would want that on a field gun. It just looks breakable if you were to accidently drop the gun for some reason. But on a target gun, probably wouldn't be a concern.

I read the article, and didn't see how much internal elevation/windage the scope had. Though it seems like it has good tracking. I like the magnification range too. You could really see that mirage good, on higher powers for wind reading.

Be careful what you read !! They don't tell you that only some models have Japan glass , of course the higher priced ones . I bought one of there big scopes with the lighted reticle and the big wheel on the side . I looked though it with lighted reticle turned on and could see all kinds of specs or trash on the inside on the lens . very cheesy scope in my opinion . I sent it back and got the same thing with the trash inside . I thought I was going to get a good scope for 200 dollars but got a piece of crap . I read all the good things about them and thought I would try one . I wished I would have paid a little more and got a Bushnell 4200 or a 3200 . Later ! Alan

You Guys are confused....the Kahles if from Austrialia and the Nikko is from China....I just got one on a Howa. It is about a $150 scope and not bad for the price.

I had one for 100 rounds through a 375 ruger while I was developing loads for it. Although I broke two different mounts the scope held up fine.

Quote:
You Guys are confused....the Kahles if from Austrialia and the Nikko is from China....I just got one on a Howa. It is about a $150 scope and not bad for the price.

Not according to the website. I pulled my info straight from the website and according to them,they are Australian. Where they are assembled, it doesn't say. But the company is Australian.

Chupa

nikko has been around a long time. I think if you do a little research they used to make springfield armory scopes in fact you see the similarity.

Quote:
Chupa I stand corrected.

I don't know that for certain, I was really more asking a question as I haven't researched them in some years. But for some reason Hakko rings a bell /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Chupa

Gotcha! I think you are right about the SA's and SS's being made by Hakko. I know that Hakko no-longer makes the SS's and SWFA is kinda hush hush about the manufacturer of them. The initial line of SS's were great scopes and then they crapped the bed for a few years, but they have come back in recent years and once again are a decent piece of glass for what they are.

Chupa

Back