Battery question - Amp Hours?

LeviSS

I'm hooking up a home-brew spotlight using a 400,000CP Q-Beam. It draws 9 amps.

That battery I was going to get is a UB1280. I noticed they aren't all the same amp-hour numbers. I was looking for an 8Ah battery, because that's what the Lightforce lights come with.

Can I use a battery with more than 9Ah? Is a bigger number better? Can someone explain how that works to me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Hey Levi,

I'm no expert but the AH(amps per hour)is just a number representing the total amount of energy available in the battery... more is better! Voltage needs to match your bulb, a 12v battery will cook a 6v bulb almost instantly.
It isn't a given but a 9amp light should run almost 1hour on a 9AH battery before it is completely dead... as in 9amps per hour. At least that is my understanding. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in here and get you going.

Remember that until fox season is here, night hunting in Illinois is a no go!

Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

AMPHOURS= AMPS x HOURS
In other words a 100AH battery could run a 10A light for 10 hours or a 1A light 100 hours. A UB1280 battery is 12 volts and 8 amp/hours. 8 amphours/9 amps = .888hours run time or 53 minutes. Get a bigger battery, smaller light, or limit your light use to 53 minutes.

Edited for mathmatics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Last edited:
Nikonut - Thanks. That's what a friend told me he was pretty sure that's what it meant. It is a 12 volt, btw. I am ready for Nov. 10 to roll around, I've never night hunted before.

SmilinIB - Thanks. Do you (or anyone else) have a recommedation for a different battery?

Higher AH batteries get bigger and heavier. I would recommend a light that draws less current. It is true to say a battery that would last twice as long will be twice the physical size and twice the weight. Doubling the size and weight will get you 1.5 hours of use, not very practical. Go for a more efficient and lighter light.

Levi,
How many watts is your light?
Did the box say it draws 9 amps?
According to my calculations it's ~108 watts.
Is that correct? Is so, 400,000 CP isn't that much light for 108 watts.
Check your numbers and post again.
M

I just checked the Lightforce web site.
It appears light output is also regulated by reflector size.
Their 75w puts out 250,000 and 400,000 CP in two different lights.
Their 30w puts out 160,000 & 320,000 CP.
Levi, I'd say your gunna get about an hour of light out of your battery with that light.

M

Candlepower is a poor parameter in comparing lights. It reflects only the brightest part of the beam which is why the reflector comes into play. In other words, if you could funnel all that light energy into a narrow laser-like beam, It might be a few trillion CP, but it wouldn't have any use for hunting.

Using the 8Amp Stock Lightforce Battery.......

140/170 Night Hunters that come with a Stock GLO-7 and Lasts for 1.5 hours Full-On, Using the BPS (Electornic Reo-stat)Mode it will last up to 3 hours.....Depending

Using the 30 Watt GL-14 bulb, in the 140/170 Night Hunters or Walkabouts (Hand Held) will last 3 hours on Full-On and over 6 hours using the BPS Switch correctly.....

By using the BPS Mode on the Lightforce Battery bag, it enables you to call for Prey and see eyes (with Red Filter) at 500+ yards with low light setting and (Know what it is)Kill Shot at 250 Yards with the turned up Light setting on the BPS with the 170 Night Hunter pack.........

Times can be Extended by using your 12 Volt charger between stops...to Recharge the battery..while In-Route

Good Hunting.........Rick

Only in a Ni-Cad Battery does that apply.....

Sealed GEL battries can take a small charge or a Large one and it doesent matter............a long as you dont charge it, at a Rate larger than 1.5 amps hour and not longer than 7 hours charge time (12 Volt Lightforce Car/Truck Charger).........anything over 1.5 Amps will slowly distroy your Battery and lessen its Life.......

Aproxx. Life on a Gel Cell (sealed) 8 Amp battery is 3-5 years.......as long as you keep it charged........

Have a Great Day..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif....Rick

Quote:
Only in a Ni-Cad Battery does that apply.....
Sealed GEL battries can take a small charge or a Large one and it doesent matter............a long as you dont charge it, at a Rate larger than 1.5 amps hour and not longer than 7 hours charge time (12 Volt Lightforce Car/Truck Charger).........anything over 1.5 Amps will slowly distroy your Battery and lessen its Life.......
Aproxx. Life on a Gel Cell (sealed) 8 Amp battery is 3-5 years.......as long as you keep it charged........

Have a Great Day..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif....Rick

Yes....that's good stuff Rick!! Thanks for passing that along /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

M

Back