I stalked a Mountain Lion! (Pics)

aerallic

Hi All,

I was heading up the mountains a few weeks ago on a Friday evening for a weekend of bowhunting and decided to walk into a canyon for the last hour of daylight to see if I could see any deer or elk. I followed a well used trail down the bottom of a canyon about a mile and a half when I noticed some movement up ahead under a large pine tree. I froze and slowly brought my binoculars up to see what was going on. I could not believe it, but I was looking at a Mountain Lion dragging a freshly killed small buck up a side canyon. I was only 80 yards away and he had no idea I was there. I just could not resist the opportunity of a lifetime to stalk a big cat so I dropped my pack, got out my camera, made sure my knife was accessible and I even knocked an arrow. It was great terrain to stalk in as he was in a slight depression and I could remain out of his site if I stayed low. I managed to crawl within 35 yards and figured I was close enough. My camera is not the best in the world and it was getting dark but I managed to snap a few pictures of the big cat. I wanted to see if I could get a better picture of him and let out a "meow" sound and that sent him running away. I was able to get that picture as well. The little buck he had killed was still warm to the touch and I figured he had just killed it before I spotted him. I am not sure if he came back to his deer, but I knew something would eat it (coyote, bear). I was lucky to have such a cool experience as you very seldom see Mountain Lions and especially stalk up on one. I really wish I had a cougar tag at the time but I figured pictures were the next best thing.

-Riley

Lion_Grass_1Small.jpg

Lion_Grass_2Small.jpg

Lion_RunningSmall.jpg

Lion_Deer_2Small.jpg

Lion_Deer_1Small.jpg

HOMnominatedbanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now thats something thats going to be remembered for a long time. To be able to spot, then stalk and shoot a mountain lion with a bow would have been frigging awesome.
Glad you had a camera with you on this close encounter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I figure the cat to be a female or juvenile male--not too big, maybe 100-150 lbs. I am not the best at guessing these things.

Some have PMed and asked the state--it is Utah, north end of the Manti Unit.

For all of Utah's negatives there are some definite positives

Seriously amazing story.

Good job man. You have now joined the club of people I hate.

Why do these lions tease me so....

That sounds like an awesome experience. Saw on the discovery channel one time where a mountain loin can actually drag a deer up a little ways into trees.

That is WAAAAY to cool. Not many guys would have the skills and calm nerves to stalk a lion. Great job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Byron

That was a great story! After that experience, you should have went straight out and bought a lottery ticket!

Congrats /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I believe I would have been the one running the other way with just a bow. Thats because I've seen myself shoot a bow and it aint pretty. But that is great you shouldn't have any problems stalking a deer or elk now after that stalk.

Back