Brass Choice

One more option: neck down Lapua 30-06 brass, to .25. It works great. Main reason I did it, was to keep separate brass for different rifles, and its excellent brass.

Need to watch neck wall thickness when necking down from 30/06, etc. Might just put yourself into the neck turning business. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
Need to watch neck wall thickness when necking down from 30/06, etc. Might just put yourself into the neck turning business. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Not when going from 30-06 to 25-06.

I bought some of that spendy Norma brass for my 25-06 A.I. when I first had it chambered up. No Norma dosn't make headstamped brass for 25-06, so I used 270 and trimmed it down before fireforming.

I found that its great brass for consistancy, but I wont go that route again. It seemed that I couldn't get the full velocity potential that the cartridge offered because the brass was a bit soft. I would get pressure signs on brass much sooner than Win. brass.

I don't think there is enough diff. between the two accuracy wise to warrant the extra expense, either.

I"d go with the winchester over remington personally but have used both extensively and both when prepped and sorted, both provided nice accurate loads. Winchester seems to last a tad longer in the primer pockets though when running hotter then normal loads.

If you use 30-06 and neck down to .25, you will have to neck turn. Thats 5 caliber sizes. Not to often you get away with not having to neck turn when going down 5 caliber sizes...

Not worth the hassle IMO to neck down norma or lake city brass unless you have a full blown custom and using it for 1K shooting.

I have no trouble keeping 1/2 moa with winchester brass out to 800 yards.

Nosler brass for the price is not worth it.

They want a premium price for a not so very premium product.

If you ever make it to some other forums where people are all about accuracy, you'll soon see that Nosler brass is NOT at the top of the list. People have had all sorts of problems with it. Few of the problems that are reoccuring are that its soft, neck thickness is not concentric, primer pockets expand after a few firings, etc...

Back