Father's bow shot kills grizzly attacking his son

Makes me think twice about hunting for extended alone on overnight trips. I mean, what if I get attacked by fire ants? Whos gonna save me??? No really, thats awesome, and impressive both. Kinda funny the things a man can do whin his children are in danger, no matter what the age.

a old man in Cody told me that a tourist asked him how to tell a real charge from a bear from a fake one. he told them "if the griz is within a quarter mile and he looks my direction THATS a real charge"
i believe in making the bear play dead. no animal is worth a human life it wouldn't matter if it was the last bear on earth. every person is someones son daughter mom or dad and i place a higher value on that.

Thats the main reason I don't support relocating problem bears to back country areas. All that does is put a bear that has no fear of people (and often associates people with food) right in the lap of any backpackers and hunters. Granted the same situation could occur with a bear thats never had contact with people. IMO relocating problem bears is just an accident waiting to happen.

I too am glad that that man had the presence of mind to do what he did in the face of grave danger to save his sons life. In my opinion, what he did was a true act of heroism.

I am curious why they would have even been in that country without a sidearm. Wyoming made it legal to carry a sidearm while bowhunting last year for exactly that reason. The only stipulation being that it has to be a cartridge legal for the taking of big game (.41 magnum or larger).

Glad it turned out the way it did. Things will not change in Grizzly country in the lower 48 until the bears are hunted and develop a fear of humans that they have not had in decades. Its a scary thought when you take the largest and most fearsome predator in North America and teach it that humans are not to be feared. Kinda like what California has done with their Mountain Lion population.

Back