training methods

yotestomper

Alright, heres where i am stuck. finally got my new pup its a female bmc, shows great signs of a good nose and enough aggression if she had to fight she could. she is now only 4 months so alot still needs to be seen. my intention is to train her as a decoy dog. but i am up in the air as to wether i will use her only to sit on stand and track if neccessary or if i will let her roam or try to teach her to go to the yote and bring them back in. i feel that each one has its advantages and disadvantages. the other thing is i have no idea as to where to start. i have given her a yote hide to chew on and man she killed that in 2 minutes. any advice would be greatly appreciated

justin

I think once you have her trained to return on command then just train to sit/stay until released. My dog used to just roam around now I have her sit next to me on some of the stands which helps her see the coyotes before they see her. That is the only advantage to having her sit next to me that I can see. I want her to interact with the coyote, then return when I signal. After she has engaged a coyote even if it is a subordinate coyote it will usually follow her back to me thinking that it is winning the fight.

My opinion is to teach a "comeback".Before anything else.Once you have that let the dog roam,and call them back the first few times they engage a yote.The dog will learn to bring yotes back.A dog sitting beside you can defeat the purpose,because while the dog has the yotes attention,the yote also sees the hunter.not very productive.when I tie young dogs,I tie them at least 20ft away from me.I don't want the dog to learn to sit right beside me.
These are just my ideas and methods,and work well for me with my dogs.

Good luck with her,If you need some hands on,or want to run with an older dog,I'm not to far away.Just pm me we'll set somethin up.

Duane's spot on with his advice IMHO. I can't really see the appeal of having a dog sitting next to the caller. Kind of defeats the purpose of why you're out there with a hound. When hunting with a hound, you're introducing entirely new and different elements into the calling experience. If I just wanted to call coyotes and shoot them, Bubba would stay home. But, with a dog, you'll see and experience all kinds of new and exciting situations.

That's why Bubba is free to roam (within reason), but will come back immediately upon my command. The interaction of your dog with the coyote is something to behold.

As for how old they need to be before going hunting. All depends. Bubba started at 8 months and was hunting hard at 10 months.

Young puppies make for good company but not necessarily good hunting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Thanks Mike, I have palyed with these dogs more than "alittle" in the last ten years.I'm no expert,just passin on my experience.Pm was sent. Duane

Last edited:
monroe,

Bubba's caller has an audible tone. Whenever I want him to come to me I hit the tone button on the collar control. It's a wonderful thing. No more hollering at the dog trying to make sure he hears you. He'll change directions mid-stride when I tone him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

thanks Mike,
but I don't have a toning/shock caller I've looked into getting one but $$ it's on the wish list and has been for some time. any other suggestions on training "comeback" commands?

Monroe,My best dog has over 400 yotes under him,and has never worn more than a "tie out collar" It takes alot of time ,hard work,and stomping the dog once in awhile,but they will learn without a "shockcollar".
Start in the yard with a 30 to 50 ft long line,bark by voice,and jerk the dog clean off his feet.The first few times he may not "get it",but will figure it out.I know it sounds bad,but its better than having no control.
My old dog will swap ends at my bark,no matter what,I have called him off game at long range,many times.He will not even challenge the call back bark.He has learned he must come.The tone on the collar is the fastest,and most effiecient way to train.I run six collars now,and have a solid "come to tone" on all my dogs.The Tritronics allows me to run more dogs,and get them up to speed faster.
But,dogs have been trained for 100's of years with no shock collars,so have faith ,it can be done.

Russ im with Duane on this one my two tolling dogs usually come back on their own, but if not they are trained to come back to a bark im not sure if its the bark or the voice thats barking that they respond to. We need to get together, you need to check out how these dogs are working. I cant believe their only eight months old. It sure pays to have a government trapper as a good friend.

The best thing I ever did was teach my Jagd to come to the tone on the collar. I'll never have another dog that "ranges out" that won't learn that one. Also taught it with the collar to come to a store bought whistle. Another valuable one. My collar only has about 1/2 mile range but a whistle is good for well beyond that. Heck of a lot easier than yellin and the dog knows where I'm when I blow it (unlike the tone on the collar).

Chris

Back