Bobcat trapping

BoondockOutdoors

Well Guys it looks as if I finnally drew one of the ellusive Pennsylvania Bobcat permits after 8 years of trying... Since I've never trapped for bobcat before I was wondering if anyone could shed some light for cat specific trapping(such as trap type and size, baits, general set-ups)even if it is the recommendation of a book that I can read. I plan to both hunt and trap the cats to up my odds a bit, but it has been over 10 years since I've ran a trap line of any type. Any help would be appreciated because it may be a long time until I draw another permit!!!!
Thanks in advance for any replys!!!

it might be illegal I don't know the PA laws??

but a tin foil pie pan hung in a tree above you trap has worked for me before

also the wing of a pheasant or any other bird you can wing and hang in a tree above your trap will work

my friend ties a turkey feather to a limb by the trap for a visual for the cat. I really dont know the size of trap though he never told me when I went with him. I know he also used lure pour around the trap.

MB650 or a KB550. Either one of these two will work well. Slim Pederson's book, "Complete Bobcat trapping" is the book you want to learn. Turkey feathers work good and if you can use something red to hang up, do it. You should also check Slims lures and baits out as well.

Nextcounty,
Congratulations on the tag. On the trapping end of things if you haven't ran a line in ten years or so you may want to consider live traps. My son and I have excellent luck here in SE KS with live traps. They are easy to set, and you can keep them running in wet, cold and snow conditions easier than about any other trap but conibears. You can also release critters you don't want if you choose. Only downside is there size, weight and cost. Visual attractors consist of a bird wing or feather hanging from a tree and then we use the carcasses of game birds we have cleaned in the cages for bait. Check your regs on trapping first though.

I use live traps for catchin critters.If you get a live trap just set it wherever you want and place things like logs and branches around it and on top of it so it looks somewhat natural.Try to make it look like its just a bush thats has a bare spot with a rabbit lying in the middle pretty much,if that makes any since at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
Stake the trap down so it wont tip the trap over once its inside.Put dirt on the wires on the bottom of the cage too.Next you shoot a rabbit and throw it in the back of the trap and hopefully you will have a bobcat in it the next day.I have some feathers hangin down from the top of mine also.Tuna will also work as bait but rabbits work just as good if not better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

luring.png

Last edited:
Bobcats are easy to force. By that I mean you can place stepping sticks or stones and force their foot on to the pan. I used to leave the pan covered with smooth dirt while the surrounding area had the rougher stuff. No self respecting coyote will step there but you will catch the grey fox and cats.

ksboy2 is showing a very good walk-thru for cats. I also agree with the exposed trap for your situation. The bobcat is much more likely to step on the exposed pan than a coyote or fox. Setting with your bare hands will help also. The cats don't care but coyotes and foxes won't like the scent. Again this will help make the sets more "cat specific".
Troy R and OkRattler have some good live trap tips also. There are alot of trappers out there catching bobcats in live traps. Do some searches on it and you'll find some real good pics of sets made with live traps.

Best tips I could give is to make a set with good eye appeal. If it's a dirt hole then make a large dirt hole. If I make a flat set then I use a large object that's easy to see for backing. As far as lure, use a good gland lure. Carmens makes a very loud bobcat gland lure that I really like. Cat-man-do and Hawbakers bobcat gland are good also. Set the edges of heavy cover. Bobcats like to hunt the thick stuff so set close to the thickest stuff you can find. Hope some of this info helps, good luck to you. Here's a couple pics to get your blood flowing.
DSC01309.jpg

DSC01294.jpg

DSC01260.jpg

DSC01256.jpg

Back