Heavy vs standard

I have a Savage .204 with a sporter weight barrel and an AR .204 with a Douglas XX Match Bull barrel.... I take them both out for Prairie Dogs and don't notice any accuracy drop off until the Savage starts getting pretty hot in close comparison to number of rounds for both rifles...The AR will hold out longer.

I carry my Savage out for Coyotes, but the AR is just too heavy to be comfortable for very much walking (but then, I'm old and way out of shape).

Only you can decide what are your intended purposes and abilities.

For 1-5 shots.......No, If you are on a hot PD town then yes. The heavy barrels shrug heat better than the sporter weight barrels, so on long strings you get less whip. Also some say heavy barrels balance in your hands better....so there is that. But there is a reason they are called heavy barrels.

Chupa

They help me with my accuracy becuase of the weight. It helps steady the shot for me. Like the others have said it doesnt help unless your shooting hot and heavy.

Quote:
They help me with my accuracy becuase of the weight. It helps steady the shot for me. Like the others have said it doesnt help unless your shooting hot and heavy.

I agree, the heavier the rifle, (within reason), the more stable the shooting platform. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif This is why most heavy duty benchrest rifles have stocks that weigh up to 50 pounds.

I'd sat that the heavier barrel should be more accurate, due to the fact that it will be stiffer (assuming they are both the same length).
That reduces barrel movement due to harmonics.
If velocity varies, the heavier barrel will shoot a smaller "cone" of projectiles then the light barrel.

I like the heavy barrel in my 22mag 982vs because it helps me steady it better than the ligher maggies,but for my calling rifles I prefer sporter weights.

When I started in to this last year, I read about rifles before I actually purchased a Varmint Rifle. I decided on a 12 FV in .204 26 in Bull Barrel, Tupperware stock. Its a very accurate rifle. The thing I noticed was how " Top Heavy it was due to the Longer heavy Barrel. On Ground squirrel days, you can shoot lot, and it hits where you point it. Then later I got a T3 Lite. Its very accurate as well, But it has a smaller thinner lighter barrel. It will still knock down squirrels at 200 + yds, but it gets hot. If you want to shoot in rapid succession, get the Bull. If you want to hunt Predators, and can confine your shots to alot less, get a good shooting Sporter Barrel. The weight in my case helps on really long shots.. but ease on the stand is way different. Good luck in your choices !

This reflects My Own personal experiences only " Disclaimer" lol

Back