Howa barreled action????

skeetlee

I am still looking and thinking about the 6mm rifle I want so badly. I have been looking and thinking about this for some time know! Anyway I was doing some reading about the Howa rifle actions. The author of the article was claiming that the Howa actions were very well made and that they are in fact more true (Machined better) than savage and Remington. Know i don't believe everything i read, but the fact is I dont know much about Howa rifles so i thought i would ask about this here.
Many of you know I want a 243AI and that I have been talking about this for quite some time. I Have been given very good advise on this issue, and i think I may just go with a standard 243. The Howa barreled action seems to be like a pretty good deal, but There isn't much as far a aftermarket stocks for them. It has been suggested to me just to go with a rem 700 varmint Laminate but i dont care for the laminate stock. I wish i could find a rem 700 with an HS stock. I would like to purchase the 243 before the season gets going so i can spend a little time with it. I hope i am not boring you fellas with all this, and i know i have asked about different 6mm rifles in the past. I was ready to just buy a rem 700 sps and then buy a HS stock used. I love to read and study every move I make so i dont second guess myself after i made the purchase. While reading and studying I stumbled across the Howa actions. I had heard of them in the past, but never gave them much thought. So whats the scoop with the Howa actions, are they any good? Thanks lee

The how actions are great. Hard to beat. I would say they are at least on par with the remington 700 and savage. The bolt design is what makes the savage so accurate. That and the barrel nut allows it to have better headspacing. Contact teh folks at snipercentral, they ahve a few custom stocks for the howa 1500 action that i think will be right up your alley. You can find pictures of them on the Entry level tactiucal rifle. Im sure they will be more than happy to help you aquire one. Also there are the hogue overmold stocks as well as boyds makes some fine stocks for them that wont break the bank. gimme a hollar if you have any other questions.

The Howa actions are slicker than Owl @#$% , if you know what I mean. I have one in a .204 and love how the bolt just moves so freely and can be opened with my pointer finger for fast cycleing without taking my ye from the scope. I believe that Bell&Carlson makes stocks for Howa's and I know Boyd's does because thats what mine is wearing. Also very accurate I might add.

Chupa

Howa's are decent actions . I think you can buy just an action too . If you just bought an action , you could take it to a gunsmith and have it barreled and chambered with the barrel and the caliber that you want (just an idea) .

If I were you I'd think about picking up a used Savage and using it for your project. You can do the barreling yourself in 15 minutes with nothing more than a barrel nut wrench, barrel vice an a go headspace gauge for the caliber your barreling to. Nothing wrong with the Howa actions, but, the Savage allows you to play with different cartridges for the least effort and money.

The really great part of this is the barrel and bolt face interchangeability lets you play with other calibers/cartridges for just the cost of the barrel and a go headspace gauge. No barreling and headspacing gunsmith costs and if you start with a long 110 action darn near every cartridge on the market will fit in one of those.

The action only idea sounds ok, but if i were to buy any action only, I would have it trued up before i rebarreled it. I am looking for something that shoot good without work. When the barrel goes then i will have the work done. Thanks for your idea! Lee

I have looked at Savage rifles and I have read about Savage rifles a Ton!!! I just cant bring myself to but one. I dont know what it is, but i just dont think there will be a Savage in my near future. I guess I think they look cheap. I know they shoot, and the barrel nut brings a ton of fun to the owners, but i just dont know! Lee

Though I think the Savage barrel nut system is a great idea I have to agree that it is one ugly unit even though it's a very accurate system out of the box.

The saving grace in all this is there are several gunsmiths whom are making other folks actions, such as Remington for one, into barrel nut switch barrel systems such as the Savage. You might look into that being your going to be paying for action work anyway on any action you choose to work with.

I know I'm having a friends rifle rebarreled and after the $260 buck barrel cost there's the added $150 cost of barreling and chambering which runs a total of $460 and he's still got to get it blued. The idea of an action that you can simply rebarrel in 15 minutes sounds great, sure wish more rifle makers would do that.

I had a Savage that I made into a 6BR with a McGowen barrel. It would shoot in the high .2XX low .3XX range. If I could have gotten my hands on a Savage F Class in 6BR before I decided to re-barrel mine, I would have done it. For $1000 they are hard to beat.

I have my sights on a 30BR for my next rifle. I'm just a .30 cal Ho!

You can get barreled actions on gunbroker and alot of other places and then all you would have to do it find a stock that you like. You can buy them in 22", 24", and 26" heavy or sporter weight blued or stainless. Might save you a little cash in the long run. I have never shot a Howa but they are the same design as the Weatherby's and I have had one of those and it was a great rifle. Good luck.

coyoteman23

The Howa barrel threads are metric and stocks listed for the Weatherby Vanguard will fit the Howa , which isn`t a suprise since they manufactured the Vangaurd for weatherby for sometime .

Back